Sunday, November 25, 2007

christmas crafting update

Although I've been crafting my little fingers to the bone, I realized I haven't been blogging about it! So here's what I've been up to...

The Lucy in the Sky Cardigan is nearly finished. This was the Christmas gift I had been most worried about finishing, but things really sped up after I got up to the arms. As soon as I make myself graft the armpits, weave in the ends, block, find buttons, then sew them on, this one will be good to go. Except that I knit the bottom half on size 7's, accidentally knit the sleeves on size 8's, then went back to the 7's for the yoke. Ermmm...I sometimes don't pay attention so well. But I can't even see a line between the knitting on 8's and the knitting on 7's, so I'm ok with it.

I finished another Gretel beret (slouchy version), so there's another Christmas gift down! I used 1 ball of Nashua Creative Focus worsted. I don't think I would use this yarn again for cabling. It's not plied and doesn't have much "give," so it was a little stressful on my hands, but the color was so perfect for my sister that I couldn't resist! This time, I did NOT block the brim. It stretched like crazy on my first Gretel. On this hat, I stuffed the whole thing and sprayed just the cables and it worked perfectly!

I finished one of the Cabled Gloves (from Vogue Knitting Fall 2007) quite a while ago, and started right up on the second, but this project has been dormant for several weeks. This is next on the list of Christmas Knitting Priorities, and the second should go much more smoothly than the first.

And here's a situation from Christmas Past...I knit a sweater for my father last year, and he finally admitted that it's too big. (Which I already suspected.) He asked if there was a safe way to shrink it, and the best answer I could come up with was some kind of steeking process to actually re-seam the sides and arms and cut away the excess. Anyone know if this will work? I've never steeked before and my dad was horrified at the notion of cutting the handknit sweater, but as far as I know, if you machine sew the holy heck out of it, it should be fine, right? Yes? No? Someone?? Anyone???

I have been making jewelry like a fiend, so I think I've created enough inventory that I can keep listing new items in the shop, while still having time to knit in the evenings. The trouble is, I keep getting new jewelry ideas...

19 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

Love. The. Ring.

Oh, and everything else too. :o)

4:08 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

I wanna say that if you reseamed the sweater it should be ok! I haven't tried this at all so don't take it from me but it seems logical.

Love all your Christmas knits! I love that beret! And you are so f'in talented with your jewelry!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

I love everything you have completed so far, especially the glove. Having new ideas is never bad, that ring kicks ass.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

I have actually steeked something that was too big -- Isabella from Knitty, in a cotton yarn. It worked, and I've sent it through the washer and drier at least 2 times since then and it's been fine. The seams won't end up being so nice, but I think it will work. Is there any way you could seam it and tack the extra bulk in without cutting it? Or is it THAT big?

I love all of your projects!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Windansea said...

Very inspirational, all of it! And gorgeous ring...

8:02 PM  
Blogger Maryse said...

Wow! The recepients of those beautiful gifts I'm sure will be very happy! I hadn't even noticed the cabled gloves in the VK fall issue. Yours look so... different better ;-) Good luck with the steeks, but I can't give you any advices... Lovely ring!

8:34 PM  
Blogger dani said...

I'm excited to see your Lucy cardigan! I love the color!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

That's such a great colour for your Lucy in the Sky cardigan- can't wait to see it all FO-ed!!
- Julie

10:47 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh, totally bummed that his sweater is too big. gosh, i really don't know about steeking....i guess it is worth a try...so he will wear it.

lovely knits....can't wait to see the cardigan!

and the ring, yep, gorgeous.

11:19 PM  
Blogger mel said...

Great knits, as always, and that ring is lovely!

Yes, seam it & cut it! I did this with a sweater made out of Knitpicks Shine that grew like crazy (cotton & tencel - no wool) - I unpicked the side & sleeve seams, and seamed it to fit, then zigzagged the hell out of the selvedges before cutting off the excess just outside the stitching. It gets a lot of wearing and washing and has held up fine. I think ChicKnits has a tutorial. One thing I would have done differently would have been to allow a little more space in the armpit area, though, it gets a little tight there after washing.

Good luck, I went back to see what you knit for him and it's so handsome, definitely worth the effort to ensure it gets worn!

7:41 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Go for the steeking, definitely. It will absolutely work, and is not as "risky" as you may think, especially if it is a wool garment.

8:13 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i so want to cast on for gretel, like, RIGHT NOW! your lucy looks great in that purple.

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful knits! Love that ring!

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG i was about to freak out cos i needed an update from you cos yr blog is my favorite. but now i don't have to. cos you posted. some exciting stuff. you are so stunning i heart you.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

you could even use a sewing machine, seam up the sides, then cut off the excess. I think Pam (FlintKnits) did that and it worked great.

that ring - it so reminds me of my engagement ring that has a tension setting

8:56 AM  
Blogger PJS said...

I love the ring. The Gretel looks good too.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

I am so impressed by people who knit complicated patterns - that glove is lovely, lovely, lovely.

(and I like the ring, too.)

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always knit the most adorable things ever and so fast! It totally puts my procrastination/last minute knitting in shame!

All the gifts are surely to be loved and cherished by all your gift recipients!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Beautiful work! Steeking is great. I've done 4 steeked items and have been very happy with results (and once you start, you can't stop).

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home