Thursday, December 28, 2006

dad's cabled raglan

My dad really loved his sweater. Or, at least, did a good job of convincing me that he did. :) I finished on time and it fits pretty well, so overall, I'm happy with it.

I used using Elann Peruvian Sierra Aran on size 8 needles, and I would use this yarn again in a minute. The heathery colors are both beautiful and rugged looking, the yarn is soft, and it blocked really well. I couldn't believe how much better the sweater looked after blocking, but then, I'm almost always amazed by the magic of blocking.

I followed the Incredible Custom-Fit Raglan formula using some bizarre measurements my dad gave me (yikes). But after making friends and coworkers try it on at various stages of completeness, I actually got something that was similar to the size of my father! But I'm disappointed with the collar. I had a bit of trouble following the directions for the collar and although I think I did it correctly, I ended up with something sort of square-ish. (Anyone else have this problem with this pattern, or know what I did wrong?) The worst part is how it bulges where the cable is, which has nothing to do with the top-down pattern, and everything to do with me not foreseeing this issue. He's sitting down in this photo, and it's not as bad when he's standing up, but still. If anyone has any advice for how to fix it, I'm all ears!

11 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

Hm, I am not sure. When I made that pattern I did a V-neck, and picked up stitches for one inch's worth of 2x2 rib. It was OK with the v-neck.

Regardless, I think it looks fantastic!!! I'm happy for you that it turned out so nicely and fits him great.

12:39 PM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

It's a beautiful sweater. I think the color and cables are absolutely gorgeous. I don't see the bulge at the neckline too badly - it just looks like it is sitting over the button down shirt underneath it. I really love it!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay for fitting! great job!

1:47 PM  
Blogger Saun said...

The sweater looks fabulous. The neckline may not be exactly what you expected but it still looks good.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Sara Kirby said...

Wow, great job with the sweater! I'm glad your dad enjoys it. I decided this year to give one hand knitted gift. My little brother got a hat and much like your dad he either really likes it or faked well enough for my benefit.

Happy Holiday Knitting!

2:49 PM  
Blogger cauchy09 said...

Gosh, what a great sweater! I love the cables and it fits really nicely. Congrats!

4:53 PM  
Blogger krazybarrister said...

the sweater is fantastic. obviously, hadn't been online in awhile when i asked you about the sweater earlier tonite! :)

12:53 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

That came out great - I'm also always amazed by the wonders of blocking....

9:45 AM  
Blogger Kelly Kester said...

yeah, what Jane said. But, WOW. That turned out beautiful. And it looks like it fits him really nicely. Let's hope that MY Dad doesn't read your blog ;-)

9:47 AM  
Blogger amisha said...

it's beautiful! the fit looks great... love the color & cable too.
i'm not sure about the neckline... it seems to me also that it might be exacerbated by the button-down shirt underneath, but the only other thing i can think of (and i haven't done this pattern) is to do some decreases in the purl part of the cable at the top to draw that in a bit. however, i still think it looks great :)

1:09 PM  
Blogger Raglana said...

Such a handsome sweater! I did one for my father, but to get him a better chance to wear it, I had to make another for my mother, too ;-)

About the collar: usually, when a cable ends, few stitches are decreased. At least one per cable, or more for a wider cable. You could measure the width of the cable panel, and count how many st stiches would be needed for the width (or do it freehand), and decrease the difference on the first row of the collar, from the stitches aligned to the cable. Unfortunately this means frogging and reknitting the collar.

No-frogging option, depends on the yarn: to block it into shape, or to shape the collar with iron and damp cloth. Anyway, the collar most likely shapes itself in wear.

For the angularity, the placing of the picked collar stitches might help. Slightly more in a curved edge, before a corner. I'm not sure as just looking the picture, but maybe there could be few more collar sts on the front, before the raglan increase line, where the neckline rises. This might soften the corner.

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home