Wednesday, May 02, 2007

good gifts

Two weeks ago, I finally got to give the EZ baby sweater and the felted fox to the new baby and new big brother. I'm assuming that most knitters get at least a little excited about giving a knitted gift that they put much time and love into, so I was so happy to hear that my gifts did more good than I had imagined. I hear there was much oohing and ahhing over the sweater, but apparently, the fox really eased the transition for new big brother. At two and a half years old, his parents were more than a little nervous about how he'd handle meeting his new baby sister. He was a bit freaked out by being in the hospital, but as soon as his parents gave him the gift, it took his mind off of it right away. Not only did he relax, but he immediately wanted to go share his fox with his new sister. They have some wonderful photos of the new family in the hospital and that fox is in every single one. Who knew?

Anyway. My hot pot kiln arrived this week and I finally tried out the precious metal clay. It was actually a little harder than I thought it would be. I think the difficulty resulted from trying to work on such a small scale, combined with my paralyzing fear of wasting this expensive material. Consequently, I made some junk. But firing them in the kiln was VERY fun, and I did get one successful piece out of it:

These earrings will be a birthday gift for my sister this weekend. The disks are made from precious metal clay, and so are 100% silver. I stamped a flowered pattern into them and gave them a patina to bring out the texture. They were a little boring until I added the freshwater pearls, but now I really kind of like them.

I made another pair at the same time, which I will add to a my Etsy shop, eventually. They still need finishing touches and I also need a scale to weigh them and figure out how to price them properly. I'm looking forward to experimenting more with precious metal clay. It's so satisfying (and unexpected) to be able to make a high quality piece of jewelry on your front steps!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a pretty small investment to get yourself a scale, and you can use it for more than just jewelry. I use mine to weigh balls of yarn all the time, for instance I weigh the leftover partial ball of yarn after I finish a project to figure out exactly how many meters/grams the whole thing took. A very handy tool!

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww- the bit about the fox made me teary- especially knowing how much thought you put into it.

loving the etsy stuff!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

glad the brother loved the fox - you made the transition a bit easier! yay for craftiness!

the earings are so beautiful!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Bridget said...

I love the little fox, and the earrings are really pretty. Clearly I'm going to have to make regular visits to your Etsy shop ...

11:01 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Congratulations on a job well done, both for a new big brother and for your sister's birthday.

Very beautiful work on both accounts.

SD & her blog

11:36 AM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

Those earrings are lovely! I'm sure your sister will love them.

And I'm glad that the fox was so well-received. It's nice of you to think of both baby and brother!

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those earings.
That fox was such a great gift for the new big brother..great idea.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

The stuff in your Etsy shop is really great. Don't be afraid to charge more for it though - don't sell yourself short.

I'm sure the fox made your friends' son feel very special at a time when he was feeling a little lost. It's a darn cute toy!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I get so excited giving knitted gifts, and it's always nice when they are appreciated in the vein that they were made! The earrings are lovely!

1:04 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

You are really cute. I am buying a chickadee necklace off you, mkay. Or we can trade something or whatever you wanna do, just sayin', I want one. I miss you. Bye.

5:14 PM  
Blogger soknitpicky said...

The fox is so cute and it's wonderful that he was appreciated! Great story!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home