Wednesday, March 28, 2007

EZ baby sweater

I gave myself plenty of time to finish the EZ baby sweater, but it's still a bit of a relief to finally be done with it. Especially since the mom-to-be recently remarked that she feels like the baby might "fall out" at any time. (Yipe.)

This is the well-known, much-knitted February Baby Sweater from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac. I thought the construction was a bit wacky, but it all worked out in the end. It's a pattern I would knit again, but next time I would use my own top-down know-how rather than following EZ's "pithy" instructions so closely. I used 3 balls of Karabella Aurora 8 and I can NOT seem to capture the color on my camera. The true color is a deeper, darker raspberry, rather than the bright fuchsia that appears here. I usually steer clear of pastels for baby knits--just a personal preference---so I hope mom and baby both like the color. The felted fox will be given to the new big brother. I'm excited to give both gifts, so Baby Girl can go ahead and fall out any time now!

The "lemonade" Rowan Cotton Rope I ordered for the Ruffled Surplice Sweater arrived the other day and the color is just what I was hoping for! I would describe it as...hmmm...lemonade! Go figure.

19 Comments:

Blogger Mary Heather said...

How adorable is that! I love the color, so I am sure that mom and baby will too!

4:57 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Lucky little girl and lucky brother! Both are adorable!!! Great job!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Kessa said...

What a cute sweater! I love the color!

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lil' B is gonna love it.
Very Punky!
Can't wait to see it in person.

kk

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cute!!!
geertje

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is beautiful!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

The FBS is beautiful! I love that color. I find myself frequently buying yarn in that color. I think giving the big brother a present too is a great idea!

10:27 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Lovely. Such a lucky baby; Aurora 8 is one of the absolute yummiest yarns you could have used!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Lovely! I too shy away from the pastels, and love the bright colors for little ones. I'm so glad the new yarn was exactly what you'd hoped for.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fabulous sweater! love the color too. I'm sick of pastels myself. nThis is the second rendition I've seen of this sweater in blogland in the past couple of months and I may have to break down and pick up that book.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

glad you got the color you wished for! now you can start knitting!

the baby sweater came out stunning!!!

10:02 AM  
Blogger Maryann said...

Definitely the sweetest sweater. And how thoughtful of you to give her big brother something special as well. Lucky kids ;o)

p.s. love your child's placket-neck sweater too, it's looking really neat in blue.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The baby sweater is really lovely! That color is beautiful!

And I second little sesame--how nice of you to give the other sibling something, too.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

great sweater! I have to knit this sometime, there are just so many great versions of this sweater out there, including yours. Your friend will love it.

9:08 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Lovely colour, lovely knitting. I've yet to try out an EZ pattern (the math scares me) but as you said, there's nothing wrong with following one's own know-how if the pattern is a bit daunting.

Can't wait to see what your "lemonade" yarn looks like.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

The baby sweater is absolutely gorgeous, and I can't wait to see the Ruffled Surplice in its lemonade-y goodness!

10:22 PM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Gorgeous! Can I ask what size needles your used? I have some of this yarn lying around for this purpose, but am umming and ahhing about needle size...lazy, I know...
(mybrownpants at gmail dot com)

5:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on the sweater. I'd love to see your top-down variation. I'm learning sweaters by knitting baby-size but since I don't have a baby, my friends better get busy making some knit recipients!

2:34 PM  
Blogger bevq said...

THat sweater is absolutely gorgeous! You did a beautiful job! Thanks for letting us see it. =)

Bev Q

http://bevscountrycottage.com

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home