Monday, November 03, 2008

the craft gods are...moody

I just found that I have been officially accepted as a vendor at the Second Storie} Indie Market! (With the jewelry, not the knitting.) The vendor list looks very impressive and I'm really excited to be a part of it. It's all going down on November 29th and 30th at The Visual Studies Workshop in Rochester, NY. I've been working on some new designs, so I should have a bunch of brand new pieces to show off by then! It's interesting to me how my aesthetic continues to change as I learn more and create more. Most recently, I started experimenting with faceted stones. I used to think that "sparkly" wasn't really my thing. But I kept coming across faceted gemstones while shopping for new materials and...well, they became kind of hard to resist. It must be the girly-girl in me. I think the 6mm stones are just perfect for a lovely little solitaire ring. But I'll have to wait and see. Maybe no one will like them and it will be a short-lived experiment. Or maybe I'll just keep making them for myself.



I should probably just stick to metal, since the yarn is not my friend right now. I finally got the sleeves finished for Assemblage (after knitting one of them 3 times) and started on the left front. After about 8" I realized I was doing the decreases incorrectly. I was decreasing on both sides (like the back) instead of just one side. Sigh...stupid mistake. So...rip, rip, rip. I'm starting to wonder if I'm even meant to knit this sweater at all! They're my own stupid mistakes, but it really feels like the knitting gods are against me on this one.

9 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Wood (née Hazelton) said...

ah, honey, I know JUST how you feel with the knitting! I'm making my man a sweater, of my own pattern, and I've had to rip out the first sleeve SEVEN times!! SEVEN!! I feel like the sweater curse is real... Cuase da-amn! *seven* times? I've never had so much trouble with a sweater in my life! And I have designed and modified other patterns pretty heavily. This just is cursed.

I say take a break and go back ot it. If you really love the sweater it will be worth it. And frankly, I am so enammered(sp??) with the pieces of yours I've seen I'm considering making one for myself!!

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I really like the faceted ring you have in the picture. I can't wait until you put some up on etsy!

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely ring! Just the kind of thiong that I would love to have and wear on a daily basis. So simple and beautiful!
Kate

4:29 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

congratulations...your jewelry is amazing...and so is the knitting,even if it takes awhile!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Nettie said...

Well the ring is beautiful! So you still have success there :D

5:03 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

i'm probably always going to think of you as jenna knitta even if you cast yr sticks aside in favor of the torch. and you can think of me still as erin knitta even if i'm erin underpants quilt machine or whatever in real life. the captcha i just had to type to post this comment says "nogish". that's my new favorite word.

5:15 PM  
Blogger thistledowns wool & cotton said...

yes, congrats. good luck with the show! love your work. the knitting too ;)

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi :D I´m your new reader :D

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm a total sucker for sparkly, facet gemstones. you especially totally need to do something with that pretty topaz. can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home