Monday, August 04, 2008

why not?

Three sweaters in progress in the middle of the summer??? That's normal, right?

I was so taken with Norah Gaughan's Assemblage pattern that I just had to cast on. I'm using Jaeger Extra Fine Merino DK in oatmeal.
Exciting, huh?


This schlumpy, unattractive pile of knitting is Marilyn's Not So Shrunken Cardigan---almost finished! I just have to crochet the ruffles and find some buttons and block this thing. Being a top-down pattern, I'm fairly certain this will fit just fine, and hopefully look a lot better than it does in this photo! I have mixed feelings about the yarn...the Silky Wool smells like silk (duh), but I'm really in love with the color. Eh. Oh, well.


For some reason, I was thinking about my Cabled Yoke Pullover recently and how much I liked it when I finished it, but how little I've actually worn it. I think the answer is to turn it into a turtleneck. However, I'm a bit uncertain about how to knit it, in terms of texture and pattern. I think continuing the cables up the neck would be a little wacky. A basic ribbed turtleneck seems like it would make sense, but I'm not so sure I'm digging that either. I feel like the ribbing should be repeated in the cuffs, as well. Which it is not. So I'm leaning toward knitting straight up in the round, to get kind of a slouchy, not-quite-cowl effect. Actually, I'll probably have to add some decreases in there, but I think this is the best option. I think. But maybe it will look strange to have the cable pattern stop abruptly. Oh, I don't know.

12 Comments:

Blogger Thea said...

all 3 look lovely, but I'm waiting to see that Norah Gaughan finished - it'll be awesome in the way versatile (not boring) oatmeal....

2:40 PM  
Blogger rockbridge said...

i LOVE assemblage. i can't wait to see how yours turns out - good luck!!

3:15 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

I like the idea of the plain, slouchy neck. I think that if you slowly tapered off the cables, instead of stopping them abruptly, that'd work pretty well.

The other thing to remember is that if you do a slouchy neck, you won't really see the line where the cables stop anyway.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see nothing wrong with 3 sweaters at once! I have at least 5 in my head right now, would love to be knitting all of them if my willpower wouldn't butt in ;)

5:42 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

wow! that is pretty brave to have all those wool projects going at once :) i love the not-so-shrunken cardigan. the colors is so pretty!

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous projects! I really like the cabled yoke sweater.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I love the pattern in Assemblage! Very interesting!

I'd say taper off the cables - it looks like they are doing that anyway, and it would make a smooth transition into the neck....

7:48 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh yes! assemblage! i can't wait to see yours!

i like stacey's recommendation for your cabled yoke.
and i also really like the idea of it being a turtleneck.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I also like the idea of the "straight up in the round" turtleneck -- if it's slouchy enough, you won't be able to see the transition between the cables and the stockinette so it shouldn't seem like an abrupt change.

All three projects are lovely!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

excited to see how the assemblage turns out, the pattern is amazing.

i like the slouchy cowl look... its cozy and laid back.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

Hy Jenna,
if you'll make a slouchy turtleneck in stockinette remember not to do it too wide because one won't see much of the fine cables of the yoke.

I'd prefer a ribbed turtle neck(knit 2 purl 2)without any decreases. That would have a loose fit and don't worry about the transition to the cabled section of the yoke. Make it a little longer than you need it so it will be slouchy like a stockinette neck. Perhaps you like to make increases in the last two rounds before binding of in order to have a little ruffled edging?

Another idea which is a very favourite of mine: I personally have a number of sweaters for which I made removable turtlenecks. You take them on if you like and take them off if you like to wear the sweater without. Maybe that solves your problem, too? It is very comfortable.

I am looking forward to your personal neck-version.

Blessings,
Susanne

1:22 AM  
Blogger iwriteplays said...

In theory you could continue the cables up the neck - that could look interesting. The cowl sounds good, too! I really like the Assemblage - that color is gorgeous!

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home