Tuesday, August 26, 2008

impromptu terrarium

Sometimes you just get the urge to make a mini terrarium, you know? Like yesterday, when I was meandering through the lighting department at my home improvement store, and spotted the exact glass-pendant-light-cover-thingy that Flickr member gemmafactrix had used quite some time ago to make her mini terrarium. Unfortunately, her pics seem to have vanished from her Flickr account, but I always thought her mini terrariums were so cute and clever, and I've been meaning to rip off her design for-EVER! Next stop was the gardening department where I purchased one of those terra cotta-underneath-the-flower-pot-tray-thingers (for the amount of time I spend in the home improvement store, you'd think I'd have acquired a better vocabulary by now...), a variety pack of mini succulents, and some "dish garden topping" (yes, that's actually what it's called). So, over coffee this morning, I whipped up a mini terrarium! Now let's hope it doesn't die. And if you're one of those Green Thumbs who just took one look at it and spotted the fatal flaw, so you know already that it's gonna die for some reason...don't tell me just yet, ok? I still want a little time to revel in the cuteness.

19 Comments:

Blogger Team Knit said...

your terrarium is adorable! I see no fatal flaws, but it will need a bit of up keep once in a while. : )

- Julie

7:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've always admired those terra-something thingies from afar.. i love how yours came out. i still think i'm going to just admire it over my computer screen... because i not only lack a green thumb, but i am apparently the green reaper. how i managed to kill one of those bamboos and a chia pet i will never know...

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's super! And I'm going to hunt down info about creating my own terrarium. Because that's so much more fun that course prep.

7:31 PM  
Blogger robyn said...

Its super cute!

I want one :)

I have no advice on keeping it alive though...maybe if you just keep watering it and keep it in or out of sunlight depending on what the particular plant needs

9:09 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

oh....I LOVE terrariums. I always have trouble finding the tops, though. Nice work!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

May your little terrarium last much longer than you expect!! You should score mucho points for effort!! Looks ultra cute. I bet your little succulents are happier than you realize. :o)

1:16 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

that is super cute! I love the succulent you picked!

6:48 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

very cute! and i could never be the one to tell you if it's going to die--i have a black thumb myself.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

What a cute idea! I'm very inspired to make my own, but much like others who've posted here, I have the touch of death for plants.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a saucer. :D

The whole thing is rediculously cute! I am a huge fan of succulents but all mine live outside as my cats like to eat them & scratch their chins on my cati!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

That's so cute!

9:08 PM  
Blogger monkeybusiness said...

So cute!!! I keep trying to grow plants, myself, but seem to have a black thumb...

1:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cute! I have a total black thumb and would so kill it.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Susanne said...

So cute, I love succulents too but I've never seen such a lovely terrarium. What a wonderful idea!
Blessings,
Susanne

1:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love love love the terrianium! I've wanted to make one for a while now.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Hey Jenna! Beautiful idea you have here... I actually tried it out myself and posted it up on my blog {bridal buzz} as a centerpiece idea. Check it out: http://bridalbuzz.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the great ideas, keep up the great work!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Myownigloo said...

Darling terrarium! Now I'm inspired. I rescued a piece of jade plant that got knocked off the main plant in someone's garden and stuck it in water and now it's growing roots. I was going to put it in a little Oriental pot I scrounged up, but now I want to use a terra cotta under the pot thingy, too!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Free2BeMe350z said...

You have inspired me to make my very first one. I am going to hit up the store this weekend and see if I can find all the items required to make one. I really like your choice of glass pendant light cover thingy and would really like to make my first one out of that same thing. I don't knoow what store would even sell them. What store did you buy yours at?

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

make sure you dont water it too much because succulents dont need that much water.

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home