Tuesday, July 01, 2008

mystery mail

I got a hand-addressed envelope from the United States Postal Service today.

This is me: "Oh jeez...what the heck did I do now?"
I opened it to find this:

Here's me: "whaaa...???"
I wracked my brain, trying to make sense of the mysterious note and mysterious dime.

Me again: "...ok, Joe...Joe who? ...Well, let's see...the year on the coin is the year I graduated from high school...so that must mean...um...that I was right about...wait, what? Hold on, WHO is Joe??!"

Then it hit me. I was at the post office yesterday, mailing earrings to Sweden, and I thought that I had handed the man 4 dimes, but when he showed me that I only I handed him three, I apologized and gave him another one. It wasn't a big deal, but apparently, Joe found the pesky wayward dime after all and mailed it back to me!

I was more surprised when I realized that Joe had taken the time to mail a dime to me than I was when I thought someone had mailed their inside joke to the wrong person!

This dime is NOT going back into my change purse. It's going on the cork board where I tack all the weird things that come in the mail. Or the newspaper. Or the weird things that my grandmother cuts out of the newspaper and sends me in the mail. Hopefully that will also remind me to thank Joe next time I'm in the post office. Talk about customer service!

31 Comments:

Blogger cosymakes said...

tee hee
:D

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now that is memorable!

9:38 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

that is priceless! love it. (LOVE your jewelry, too!!)

10:03 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

this has got to be the coolest thing i've heard all week. I love it!

you've got quite a post office out there in Rochester, i suppose!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

That? Is like the most awesome thing ever. I love Joe.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Mackenzie said...

That is the cutest story! And just when you lose all faith in humanity...

11:22 PM  
Blogger Chrispy said...

Wow such a cool story. I had to show my husband your post.

I am also glad to know I am not the only person that gets mailed newspaper clippings. My mom one time took the time to put them in a photo album and send them to me.

12:06 AM  
Blogger katie said...

that's so sweet!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

how neat! you don't find honest people like that too often

7:46 AM  
Blogger KC said...

I love zany postal workers.

8:00 AM  
Blogger soknitpicky said...

I love this story. And Joe :-)

8:38 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

that is so strange :) but nice.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that is crazy. i love this story!

9:19 AM  
Blogger misplacedpom said...

That's so sweet! Just a couple of days ago I found a note in my mail box addressed to "Fox" and her sister "D". IT was somebody's attempt at apologising for being a love rat and professing their undying love for "Fox". I have no idea who any of these people are. We have lived in the apartment for three years and it was vacant for seven years before that.

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's rediculously awesome. Considering he spent more to mail the dime than the actual dime is worth. Maybe he was just trying to strengthen your memory? :D

11:37 AM  
Blogger Paty said...

There are people with good heart ahd good values in this world... really nice! have great day!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Ella said...

*seriously?*

That freakin rocks. If you tell us which post office, we can bombard Joe with thank you notes. Like a flash mob. Except via the mail. :D

2:16 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

That is so cool! yay USPS =D

2:31 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

That is awesome! Cork worthy for sure. lol.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Happily Knit said...

How fantastic!

11:35 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

HA! That is so bizarre! But what a nice guy, that Joe.

12:03 PM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

that is so bizarre! I'm glad you're going to keep it the way it was sent to you. Great story!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Now THAT is customer service! You don't see that much these days :)

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How awesome! That would make my day!

10:52 PM  
Blogger sara said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing...

1:40 PM  
Blogger melissa said...

wow...what a great story!

9:21 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

I betcha he has the hots for ya. ;o)

And I love the dress you got from Tangente. Gorgeous.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

That is too cool. I love it.

6:20 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

ahhhhh!
i love joe!!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe i'm the only one to mention this - but Joe was totally hitting on you. who in the world would remember the name and or address of just any random stranger? or even that they had an extra dime?

sending it back to you is his arm extended in interest...

7:14 AM  
Blogger Smellyann said...

That was pretty cool!

I don't think he was necessarily hitting on you. He could just be that nice!

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home