Sunday, June 08, 2008

mojo

I've still got craft mojo...I just lost my blogging mojo there for a bit! I've been knitting Marilyn's Not So Shrunken Cardigan using the Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool I ordered ages ago. (The stuff everyone told me to knit up immediately.) I've done the entire raglan shoulder portion and now I'm about 3" into the body. I love the color. It's #09, verdigris. I plan the lengthen the body, so I hope I have enough yarn. But I could always make the sleeves a bit shorter.

I made a pledge (to myself) to head out to our Public Market as often as possible and live on cheap veggies all summer, so obviously I needed a new market bag to help motivate me toward this goal! I'm using this free pattern, but I'm making a few modifications. After reading about how much this thing stretches, I went down a few needle sizes, using 8's for the bottom and 11's for the lace pattern, which seems to be working out pretty well. And I'm using reclaimed Rowan Cotton Rope...from the ill-fated Ruffled Surplice of last summer. I'm also planning on attaching bamboo handles, rather than knitting straps...for cuteness.
I'm also working on new items for the Etsy shop! I've been taking a jewelry making class, so I'm re-learning how to form metal, solder, set stones, etc. I have picked up a torch in years, but it seems to be coming back to me. Here's my first class project:

It looked better right after I finished it...but I've been wearing it so much that it could use some polishing up already! And then I made these...



So I've been practicing with smaller pieces and forcing friends and relatives to wear the prototypes just to make sure they're good enough for the general public, and hopefully soon I'll have some new designs available in my shop!

12 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

That jewelry is beautiful!

12:51 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

Wow! Normally I visit your blog for your wonderful knitted garments, but I really like your jewelry, too!

(I, too haven't touched a torch in years, but I used to be a decent silversmith.) Is that chalcedony, moonstone and labrodorite I see? I love the domed discs, too. I've been seeing them around quite a bit lately! Great work! I love your simple style, and can't wait to see more!!!

1:06 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i love all those new rings! :) very pretty.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Beautiful work on all accounts! I've had a partially finished MNSSC forever. Yours looks great.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

beautiful! you have such a talent for the jewlery!!!

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty jewelry! I signed up for a jewelry making class in grad school but then realized I didn't have the time what with having to write my thesis and all. It was sad.

11:10 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

wow, your jewelry is amazing. I've always loved your stuff, but these are really professional looking. i'm sure you will have no problem selling them!!

11:19 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

What lovely pieces! I'll have to keep an eye out for your Etsy shop!

12:46 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

Your jewelry screams JENNA so loud it's amazing. It's wonderful, dear.

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm working on the sleeves now for the "not so etc" cardi. I wanted mine longer as well and quantiy of fiber was an issue. SO, I knitted lenght I wanted, and then knitted the neck and front bands. At that point I weighed and split my remaining yarn into two balls. When I run out - the sleeve is finished!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Octopus Knits said...

The cardigan and bag are looking good, and your jewelry is lovely!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Yarn said...

sweety and pretty jewelry.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home