Tuesday, June 17, 2008

market bag

Since I'm slow to blog these days, this bag has already made her maiden voyage to the public market! I was able to lug home 2 cucumbers, 6 tomatoes, 1 head of broccoli, 1.5 pounds of coffee beans, and 2 pints of raspberries (which actually weren't all that good and but still served their purpose...as a vehicle for Cool Whip). It held up just fine, and I still had room to spare! In this photo, the bag is stuffed with a bath towel. And not one of those skimpy bath towels, either.

I used this free pattern, and made a few minor modifications. I went down several needle sizes, after reading about how much this bag stretches. I used size 8’s for the bottom of the bag, 11’s for the lace body, then I switched to 9’s and then 8’s for the garter stitch border, although I probably could have gone right back to the 8's. I was afraid of making the opening too small, but it seems to be fine. The top of the bag measures 12" across when you lay it flat.

I wound up knitting 14.5” from garter stitch base of the bag to the bag opening, although I had planned on making it a bit shorter. But when I'm holding the bag by the handles down at my side, the bag doesn't quite reach the ground, although it might if I really loaded it up with coffee beans. So maybe the bamboo handles aren't ideal (digging into your forearms when you're laden with produce), but I really do like the way they look. The bamboo handles have a diameter of 6" (on the inside) and I didn't do anything fancy to attach them, just went round and round and round with scrap yarn after I had bound off the bag.

I used some leftover Rowan Cotton Rope (maybe 3 balls or so?) and this yarn is much happier being a market bag than a lumpy dumpy surplice cardigan. Yes, we're all much happier now that this yarn is a market bag.

More photos on Flickr.

14 Comments:

Blogger Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

I love the bamboo handles. Beautiful work!

6:53 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

now, the only question will be WHICH market to take it to??

7:08 PM  
Blogger erngrn said...

that bag is great! i've been really into making grocery bag's lately.

i like the bamboo handles and thanks for answering the question about whether or not they hurt your arm.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

very cute....I have one similar and love how it just keeps stretching to fit stuff in!

7:48 AM  
Blogger Mary Heather said...

Very nice! Your bag is way cuter than the one the pattern picture shows! :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

I love your allegiance to Cool-Whip. You are awesome. We are gonna have fun. One week.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

It's so cute! What a perfect color for a summertime market bag.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

That came out so cute! The handles are a great touch.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Super cute bag! It's perfect for summer.

2:47 AM  
Blogger Ella said...

You know, when I originally looked at this pattern I just wasn't impressed by it. But now that I see yours, I totally love it. Especially in yellow - such a sunny color!

:D

5:49 PM  
Blogger Yarn said...

fantastic cute.
thanks

2:15 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

i love this! and in yellow! it is adorable!

8:27 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

it looks great with the bamboo handles! i really need to make one of these.

12:17 PM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

That yarn definitely looks very happy as a market bag!

9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home