Monday, April 14, 2008

sweater dilemma

By the time I finished the Baby Cable Wrap, I already had two new projects on the needles. I found a beautiful skein of Malabrigo in the "brown berries" colorway, perfect for the Better Bucket hat. I love that folded under brim thing. And I have been itching to try the Pirate Mittens for such a long time, that I finally cast on for on those, as well. But 1x1 ribbing in two colors?? Argh. Wait---they're pirate mittens---I mean, "Arrrrrgh!" ...there we go.



I have somehow (over the past few years) gotten myself into a situation where I feel weird and antsy if I don't have a sweater on the needles. And right now I don't. And I feel weird. And antsy. But what do you knit when it's 56 degrees out? (Come to think of it, what do you even wear when it's 56 degrees out?) Do you go for a so-called "summer" knit in anticipation of warmer weather? Even though I never wear these warm weather knits, ever, I'm still very tempted to cast on for one of these: The "Yellow Top" from Rebecca 36, or the "Halter Swimsuit Style Vest" from Knitting Classic Style.



Or do you try to finish a "spring" knit in time to actually wear this spring? What if it's the Gathered Cardigan from Knit.1 Summer 2008 and it looks just like the Patti Cardigan you just finished? :)
Or do you just do the right thing and start on the sweater for which you already have the yarn and pattern? I ordered some Silky Wool in color 09 especially for Marilyn's Not-So-Shrunken Cardigan. I have both yarn and pattern in hand, so I could just get started on that.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hrmm I say skip the summer knits if you know you never wear them. I know I don't. I do love that knit.1 sweater but I imagine it'll be knitting deja vu for you. (look it rhymes uhh sorta) I say knit something with the silk wool, it can still count as a spring knit and it'll be useful for fall!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Whatever you do, use the SIlky Wool. That stuff is faaaaaaaaab.

1:48 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

ooooh, i like that rebecca top! hhmmmm..

3:40 PM  
Blogger Elin said...

Yes, yes, that silky wool is beautiful! I vote for that. I already have three sweaters worth in other colours, but now I want that colour too!

And I received the earrings from your etsy store yesterday and they're just beautiful. Thank you!

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I ALWAYS have to have a sweater on the needles too.I vote for the silky wool - looks wonderful. When it's really hot, I knit sleeves, and then when the weather cools I knit the body and the sweater is done in no time.

5:12 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I hate not having a big project on the needles - I also get antsy. Silky wool is wonderful - definitely a good choice to start!

I have a couple of tanks I knit. I have never worn them. Ever.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

I like summer sweater knitting, myself. It's a great time ofr either lace projects or little tanks. And I do wear knitted tanks-they are usually silk/cotton/bamboo, though. Obviously wool is a bad idea, unless it's a wintery one for layering. And I've got some of those, too! Hope you find a sweater for those needles soon.

- Julie

10:37 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

I always have a sweater on the go - even in the summer. Generally, the warm-weather knits don't get worn by me, either. Hence I usually skip them.
I'd say go for the project for which you have the yarn and pattern; just knit that sweater in a very air-conditioned atmosphere :)

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have knitting OCD. Seasons be damned. If we want to be practical we should all drop knitting and go buy a sweater. I have been known to knit wool sweaters in L.A. summer, constantly wiping my clammy hands on my jeans. I say you go for whichever one that your fingers are itching to knit.

7:47 PM  
Blogger shopgirl said...

that gathered cardigan is great! Thanks for posting- I had stopped looking at knit1 a while back.

I have the same ants in my pants. I just bound off a sweater, and I don't have another in the works yet. Feels weird, huh? I'll be waiting to see how you take care of those ants:)

9:01 PM  
Blogger weaverknits said...

I agree with the Silky Wool idea. That's really an all-season sweater. However, the halter top from Classic Style is AWESOME... would you wear it layered? If so, you could certainly wear it in cooler weather.

10:41 AM  
Blogger bjl said...

didn't you swear off summer knits last year? ;) i thought i was going to join you in this dilemma after i finished razor cami- but i got loads of wear out of it in the fall, under a shrug type sweater... such as that black number you had on the other night... just a thunk. that yellow top is pretty cute, but that sweater will be smashing in the fisher blue.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

the baby sweater came out fabuluuuus! I love some of the Summer patterns but have no bust to fill them in :( so i would work on the one you have the materials for and seems you have other projects when it gets to hot!

2:59 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

well, here's what i would do: get all three on the needles and knit knit knit until you see something you absolutely msut have for fall.

7:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What color is the Silky Wool you're using? Thanks!

4:39 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

It's color 09.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I try to get my spring knitting ready for spring. Might not happen this year. I have to frog, so it's in time out right now...

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home