Tuesday, April 22, 2008

spring break!

If you're looking for sordid spring break tales of wet t-shirt contests, margaritas, white sandy beaches, or the like, you're barking up the wrong blog. Maybe next time. This year, my spring break destination was New York City! I was lured to Brooklyn with the promise of cupcakes, a Broadway show, and deluxe air mattress accommodations, so how could I say no? (Hmm...if only the three could have occurred simultaneously...) But I did manage to get a sunburn, so that's gotta count for something.

This time around, my favorite part of visiting Manhattan was the World Financial Center, with two art exhibits ("The Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef" and "Amazonia Design, Fashion & Sustainable Economy") which magically happened to be chock-full of my four favorite things: yarn, clothes, furniture, and jewelry---all with an environmentally-friendly message, to boot!



And I have to give Brooklyn props for the Botanic Gardens! I had never been there before and it was really beautiful. The weather couldn't have been more perfect, so that made it even better.



Tired feet left nothing to do but knit in the evenings, so I made some good progress on the Gathered Cardi. Yes, I decided to knit the Gathered Cardi from Knit.1. I also added my own crafty little modification to the pattern and I was all sorts of proud of my sly knitting ways, when I realized I may have miscalculated one of the measurements. And when I say I "miscalculated," what I really mean is that I was too arrogant and lazy to do a gauge swatch in the first place and I am probably going to get exactly what I deserve...

But that's another post.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems like it's been an eventful spring break for you!

I've never been to NYC. In fact, I have never been to anywhere on east coast! But, soon it will change ;)

That fashion exhibit seems really interesting - I love the abstract couture-ish stuff. Fashion! It's kinda silly that I love looking at high fashion, when I'm super low maintenance, frumpy, and there is nothing fashionable about me! hahah!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Ella said...

I love botanical gardens. I never made it to the ones in NYC, but your photos are beautiful. Ahh, spring!

12:37 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I could stare at those dresses all day. The crochet kind of scares me though, but I can't look away, like biology class.

Great photos!

12:50 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

that sounds like a great spring break!!!!!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Breean E. Miller said...

who needs gauge swatches anyway?

10:07 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

yeah, botanic gardens are lovely aren't they? i love that they are so close by :) glad you had a great time in our fair city!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

Looks like you had a great spring break! I love those dresses, they are incredible- and the botanical gardens look so lovely!

- Julie

11:20 AM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

That coral reef looks like guts but the ruffle dress is saying ERIN WEAR MEEEEEE WEAR MEEEEEEE. I am so buying a dress form. I gots to. Also, I heartchoo.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how do I know you aren't just hiding the sordid details?!

and you know why the gathered cardi isn't working out right? cause you didn't listen to me!! j/k! :P

3:37 PM  
Blogger The Dollars said...

Beautiful dresses! What a cool display!

4:17 PM  
Blogger Kessa said...

Nice pictures! Looks like you had a great spring break!

4:29 PM  
Blogger KC said...

beautiful pics of your trip!

12:18 PM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

Sounds like a fun trip! The exhibit looks pretty incredible. The Botanic Gardens are right near my neighborhood! Although I haven't had a chance to make it there this spring.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home