Wednesday, December 12, 2007

thrum, thrumming, thrummed

Is it really called "thrumming," or am I just knitting thrums into my thrummed mittens? Is it a verb or a noun or an adjective or all three? At any rate, I used the term "thrum" fairly indiscriminately during my long car ride this weekend, since I did a lot of griping about thrumming. The car ride was not as productive as it should have been since I kept messing up. My first mistake was making the thrums ridiculously long, so I had to re-thrum the thrums before I could carry on. My sister generously offered to thrum along with me, so that made the thrums add up much quicker. The rest of the messing up involved trying to guess what size my dad's hand are while knitting. I kept worrying aloud that the weren't going to fit...to which my sister helpfully responded, "...but don't you always knit Dad something that doesn't fit?" As if I wanted to keep THAT tradition alive. But now that I have the first mitten figured out, I'm flying through the second. And the alpaca thrums that I thrummed into these thrummed mittens are soooo soft.

11 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

I've always wanted a pair of thrummed mitts! they look so cozy! Are they a pain? They look like they may be...

8:35 AM  
Blogger Peacock Chic said...

wow you are just thrum thrum thrummin along aren't you? I hope they fit and you break the curse...I mean tradition :O)

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wierd! I just finished a pair last week. Lindy01 on Ravelry. Kind of pain, but oh, so warm!

How did you manage at all in the car, though? I'm finding thrums all over my house.

10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. It's just lindy on Ravelry-lindy01 is flicker

10:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, Alpaca thrums. Those sound to die for!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

Alpaca thrums sound amazing! Here's hoping that these fit your Dad!
- Julie

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, thrummed mittens. I've been wanting to cast on for some since the temperature dropped last month. I'll be eager to see how yours turn out!

3:28 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

dude i tried to make thrummed earmuffs once (they're on knitty somewhere) and the dumbass who wrote the pattern and the dumbass who proofread it completely neglected to mention you have to knit or purl or whatever into the BACK of the stitch with the thrums or else they don't make cute little puffers of warmth. i found that out on my own. also it's very hard to knit something round. it was lame and i scrapped it. but i still have a big hunk of yellow merino somewhere in my mess. sigh. you rock.

5:06 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

thrummed mittens? where have i been?
if they don't fit your father, takers will be standing in line!

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i believe this makes you a thrummer. the word, by the way, is kind of like burglar. You can be a burglar, but can you just burgle?

6:17 PM  
Blogger Melissa Wood (née Hazelton) said...

Yes you can burgle! A burglar burgles. ;)

And I have to know, how did you get your thrums all round like that??? I did a pair of socks ones, but the ends were this nightmare.. not neat and pretty like yours!

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home