Friday, November 09, 2007

cabled bangle

So I finished one Cabled Bangle. I finished it over the course of three evenings, without working very hard at it. You could make one of these in a day if you really wanted to. I used Dale of Norway Heilo on size 3 needles. The weight of the yarn was just right, since I could still get my hand into the bracelet, but the needles were probably a little small for the yarn. Although, this was fine by me, since I didn't want any of the bracelet to show through. Because the bracelet is not pretty. At all. I cast on 20 stitches and used a 10 st cable chart from Vogue Stitchionary II. Although the swatch fits around the bracelet nicely, the cable looks a bit stretched. I think next time I will try an 8 st cable, and one that's a bit more "solid" looking. Maybe just a basic twisted cable.

But the next bracelet is going to have to wait. I am suddenly nervous about how many knitted gifts I had planned on for Christmas! One year I made myself crazy, last year it was ok. This year is looking sketchy...and I kinda don't feel like stressing myself out over this beloved hobby which I enjoy so very much. :) I have decided to prioritize and try to work on one thing at a time, but some projects may just have to get eliminated. First on the list is the Lucy in the Sky Cardigan, which has been a little bit of a pain in the neck so far. It has nothing to do with how the pattern is written--I just can't memorize the diamond chart. It's not difficult, but I do have to make sure I pay attention to my knits and purls. (Boo for paying attention.) But I'm almost up to the armholes so it should only get easier from here.

14 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

that is a neat idea - I like the bracelet!!!! don't stress - knit because you want to, not because you have to!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Team Knit said...

Looks fantastic- and the possibilities for designing them are endless! I think the cable looks great.
- Julie

10:31 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

i LOVE this.........and have put it on my list.....but i too am stressing over how much i have given myself to knit!
i really hate loosing sleep over my knitting!!! :)

10:53 AM  
Blogger Kessa said...

Love it! I don't do holiday knitting because of the stress I seem to put myself under. Don't stress your knitting; just enjoy it!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cabling looks great, something I definitely wanted to try (was too excited to finish my projects to do anything fancier than I what I made :P) Isn't it awesome how you can turn an ugly bracelet into a fashionable accessory? :D

11:19 AM  
Blogger Smuddpie said...

This is funny, (In by best Bogey voice) "Out of all the cables in all the books, you had to pick this one..."

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Smuddpie/cabled-handwarmers

2:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

looks great, i can't wait to make one too (after all my own christmas knitting, of course)!

5:03 PM  
Blogger kelli ann said...

so cute! love it.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Devonshire said...

I love the cabled bangle - it looks great. I completely understand about holiday knitting....why do we do this to ourselves. Best of luck on yours.

9:20 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

this is so fantastic!! i think these would make great gifts for people, too!

beautiful, thanks for the link :-)

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really cute!

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute bracelet! I know what you mean about stressful holiday knitting. I think I have a good balance this year but I am already a little bit worried about finishing everything on time. It takes so much away from the fun! Good luck with yours. :)

8:10 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

This is soo adorable. Just now I have cables coming out of my ears, but I definitely want to try this!

9:34 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

i love that -- looks like a perfect gift!

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home