Wednesday, October 17, 2007

ready, set, go!

This year I am beginning my holiday knitting cheerfully and willingly! (Maybe it's because I've been doing so much knitting for myself lately...heh heh.) Oh yes, I said holiday knitting. I know I'm not the first to start, but I'm starting earlier than I did last year. And I have a plan. And I made my sister swear that the family doesn't hate getting handknit gifts from me every year.

The first thing I've done is resurrect a project I started about a year ago: the Lucy in the Sky cardigan. I'm using Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in a really pretty dark, muted purple. I'm also working on the Cabled Gloves from Vogue Knitting Fall 2007. I've already run into problems with the cable chart. Actually, I pulled one of my signature Panic First, Think Later moves. I could NOT figure out the instructions for the "right twist" and sent a frantic message to a fellow Raveler (knitsynthesis) who replied promptly and explained the "right twist" in perfectly plain English, leaving me wondering why the heck Vogue couldn't do the same thing?! Well. Turns out I was reading the directions for the Cabled Coat, instead. Boy that would have been a surprise---to think you're knitting a glove and wind up with a cabled coat! The chart is still a little whack, but I've got it under control now. Sometimes I wonder how I get anything knit at all.

I also started a hat for my brother-in-law. Originally, I wanted to knit the We Call Them Pirates Mittens for him, but I showed the pattern to my sister, who felt that he was not the "plundering type." Boo. She said he would DEFINITELY wear a hat if I knit one. I sent her about six different patterns and she picked the most boring ones for him. I didn't want to knit him something he could just get anywhere, so I took matters into my own hands and decided to knit the Utopia Hat by smariek. I'm using Elann Peruvian Sierra Aran, since I had 2 full skeins left over from my Dad's sweater last year, and the color was just right for my brother-in-law. Now I'm hoping I have enough yarn.

8 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

ugh, i fear holiday knitting this year. i'm not sure if i'll get to do any! love that lucy. great color choice!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I'm thinking about holiday knitting. But that's about it. You've got some great patterns and yarn! I'm sure they will all be very enthusiastically received!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Casey said...

It's this time of year that I love holiday knitting! There seems to be enough time to get things done and planning new projects is always exciting. But then the middle of December rolls around and I start to panic. I hope you finish all your projects with lots of time to spare and that the recipients love them! I won't be doing any holiday knitting this year because of the baby and I'm not sure if I'm relieved or disappointed.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The cardigan is going to be beautiful and I Love the color. I actually just used that same color the other week :)

The grey mits are going to be specactular! Can't wait to see them done.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's funny that you mentioned the Elann Peruvian Sierra Aran. I just ordered some of it online in oak and I'm impatiently waiting for it to arrive :). I'm planning on making a sweater but haven't decided on a specific pattern yet. Love the purple shade and stitch pattern on the "Lucy in the Sky" cardigan.

2:58 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

ugh i love knittie diamonds. and YOU. promise me we get a drink together during my extremely (no, seriously, extremely) whirlwind rochester weekend. it's comin' up, y'all.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Melissa Wood (née Hazelton) said...

The Utopia Hat by smariek is one of my favourite hat patterns! I keep looking for someone to knit it for!

I envy you your fast knitting! I wish I could knit christmas gifts, but I'm far too slow a knitter.

10:49 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

You are ahead of the game - already holiday knitting - good for you!!!! looks like you have some cute stuff on the list....

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home