Monday, October 01, 2007

jacket blocks while cat supervises

Actually, my cat is probably giving serious consideration to plopping his furry white belly right down in the middle of my Drops Asymmetrical Jacket the second I'm not looking. Or perhaps sinking one--maybe two--claws into that Berkshire Bulky...just to see what it feels like.

But the cat is most likely enamored of the Drops Jacket because it SMELLS LIKE WET SHEEP. This is not new. A lot of my handknits smell like wet sheep when they're blocking--I'm sure most knitters have this problem. But I always forget that my handknits are going to smell like wet sheep until after my whole place smells like wet sheep! I never think to pick up any woolwash-type stuff until after the blocking and the stinking have begun. Notice the Febreze in the background? All it's doing is helping my cat watch the jacket dry. Can someone tell me what WILL work to eradicate the wet sheep smell? Before I block anything else around here??

(Gotta love that beach towel blocking board, eh?)

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! Your cat is totally looking like, "I wonder how much trouble I'd get in..."

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you find that certain yarns have a terrible dye smell too when it's wet?! Can't wait to see a modeled shot of your pretty sweater!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute cat, colorful photo!

But:
A watched pot never boils.
A washed knit, watched, never dries.

(Or does it?)

11:58 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

I always use a few drops of woolwash (Euclan or Soak) in the water I use to soak the knit before I block....they smell yummy!!!

6:56 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i use that soak stuff and it smells ok.. still a little sheepish though. what i usually do is submerge the item in water and wool wash then i put in the washing machine and just spin the excess liquid out of it, then block it. this way my place smells less like sheep.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

I like the lavender-scented Eucalan.

The sweater is gorgeous! Have you ever knit with yarn soaked in cat spit? That's great fun. I do it all the time.

8:48 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

awesome jacket!!
I use a teensy drop of vanilla essential oil in the wash water. I don't know if that's bad for the wool, but I like the smell. :)

12:20 PM  
Blogger delovely said...

Your cat has a fine sense of knitted items. She (He?) wishes only for opposable thumbs so she can knit tiny cat sweaters.

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to see someone else resorting to beach towels for blocking. We are two smart cookies. I have been contemplating the DROPS jacket and so cannot wait to see the modeled shot. That thing really knit up fast! Looks beautiful.

3:09 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

I can't believe you finished that already! I want one. Omg. Dat cute.

7:38 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

hey, speed knitter! beautiful sweater!!

1:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it dry? Show oh show me how your sweater looks on you! :-)

7:53 AM  
Blogger monkeybusiness said...

Cute sweater! I love the color - how many skeins did it use? Your kitty looks like he/she would like one for themself. I know my kitty is waiting for his own knitted object. :)

10:00 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

AND the towel matches the sweater. You fashion plate, you!

10:39 PM  
Blogger lomester said...

All you ladies making this is making me want to make this sweater myself! ENABLERS!

Love the color of yours.

2:55 PM  
Blogger bjl said...

that was super fast!

he looks so innocent there...

10:45 PM  
Blogger katarinaw said...

I actually like that wet sheep smell...

4:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love the color. Looks great on you!

4:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home