Thursday, September 27, 2007

how'd that get there?

I don't know how it happened. I finished weaving in ends on my Front and Back Cable Sweater at knitting club last week, and so I cast on the for the Drops jacket, you know, just to have something to do, and after just a couple evenings of knitting this week, I had the back piece and left front panel finished, and now I'm halfway done with the right panel. And this includes an hour or so of working on it at knitting club, which is usually counterproductive to my knitting progress! I'm using Valley Yarns Berkshire Bulky in plum, and size 10.75 needles. I'm not so sure about the color yet, but I can't complain about how fast this thing knits up! And I didn't knit at all last weekend because I was making jewelry like a fiend. Here are the pieces I am currently having a hard time parting with...

The silver bracelet isn't in the shop yet, but it will be.
So speaking of knitting club...is it over? My friend Kim says the word on the street is that the knitting fad is finished and that it's just the die hards left, now. It seems like there's been a decrease in knit club attendance over the past 6 months or so, and it kind of has a few of us scratching our heads. But perhaps those of us scratching our heads are such die hard knitters that we cannot comprehend why anyone would NOT knit. (Die hard, nerd...Tomato, tomahto.) Last week there was an article about our knitting club that appeared in a free publication, which may have enticed a few more people to show up for our knit nights, had I not come off sounding like a supreme ding-dong. Turns out, when your say things to reporters, they actually write them down.
Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your gracious comments on my Front and Back Cable Sweater! I felt some serious love from you guys. :)

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no, I don't think it's over. We're just too obsessed with Ravelry to knit. ;-)

Love that silver bracelet!!

7:55 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Here's more love coming your way:

- Your jewelry is absolutely gorgeous, especially the bracelet.
- The colour on the Drops jacket is luscious and I think it will look gorgeous with your hair!
- And this is late, but the front and back cable sweater is incredible. The fit, the design, the crisp execution, WOW.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful jewelry! Fad dying down? Huh, the more than 30,000 people on Ravelry or the waiting list might disple that rumor!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

The jewelry is beautiful -- and love the quick knits! I didn't think you came off ding-dongy in the interview -- it was just short.

Interesting question. There may be some drop off as some people who did start knitting just because it was the thing to do find the next thing to do (I have a friend like that), but I think it's around for the long haul.

9:11 PM  
Blogger Chelsea said...

Look at the wait list for Ravelry-I don't think it's dead ;-) Your jewelry is almost a beautiful as that front and back cable sweater. But I've been dreaming about that since I saw it a few days ago, so that's saying alot!

10:56 PM  
Blogger kelli ann said...

i have been contemplating starting the drops jacket for quite a while now... i can't wait to see how yours turns out! if it's pretty (which i'm sure it will be) i may have to whip up one myself...

12:17 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Yeah, what everybody else said.

If the knitting movement is dwindling, I think it's because the people who took up knitting because it was cool are fading away, and those of us who love it are sticking around. I know too many people who can't put down the sticks and hooks.

And you don't sound like a ding-dong. And I want to buy all of your jewelry. And it's amazing how many knitters are teachers!

I'll shut up now.

6:31 AM  
Blogger bjl said...

you do sound like a ding-dong- don't let anyone tell you differently. ;) love the new pieces- i'm going to have to snag some.

i don't think we're dead, i think it comes and goes in waves- especially during the summer. some people get married, or wander off to the grand canyon or whatever...

7:08 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

look at how fast that thing knit up!!! What do you think of the Berkshire??

love that bracelet - very pretty!!!

I think maybe the people who knit only things like scarves with fun fur have dropped out, but out here in blogland it seems to be going as strong as ever!

7:33 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

Can't wait to see your drops jacket! I just might have to make it....sometime!

OVER???? Good thing we all have each other.....i have been obsessed for years. :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger Jillian said...

I love the bracelet! And I just had to comment on the Drops Jacket...I am also knitting it in a plum colour and have the back and right front done and am totally waffling on if the plum was the right choice. But seeing your plum version does make me love the colour.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Brena said...

We've noticed a sharp decrease in both our knitting groups. I thought maybe we were just too cool for everyone else. :)

11:52 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i actually really love that color :) but i'm really into purples and pinks lately.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That color is so beautiful! I think it's a great choice. Especially when winter is so dark, bland & colorless it will be nice & cheery. :)

That rock crystal bracelet is to die for!

1:25 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

i didn't mean to stop going to knitting. it's just a rilly far walk fr me. and i am a lunatic walker. one time i got on the wrong bus and i ended up at old navy. and it took me an hour and a half to walk home. i didn't like all the dumb people who just came to knitting one or two times with their stupid fun fur anyways and if you say you did yr lyin!!!! yr jewelry is pretty. will you make me a swallow charm? i'll be yr best friend.

10:56 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Love the yummy plummy yarn. And your jewelry is beautiful! I don't know how you would be able to part with any of it.

11:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I ask which drops jacket pattern you use - there are two different yarn weights. I think of knitting it too but I don't know which one to choose ...

Btw love your blog that't why put your link on my site :-)

7:57 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

Andrea, thanks for linking my blog. :) I'm knitting the bulkier version.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your quick answer. I am curious to see your finished version - all your sweaters, jumpers, knits and pieces are truely inspirational to me. So thank you for writing this blog. (Don't you stop!)

3:35 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I haven't atended knit night around my neck of the woods lately because I've been working madly. it's not lack of desire or even knitting. It's lack of time away from work....

12:01 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

you do create some beautiful things!! I can't wait to see your finished Drops jacket. I've had my eye on that too :)

11:03 AM  
Blogger lomester said...

That is such a quick knit! I will have to cast on now :)

4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home