Saturday, September 08, 2007

design on the fly

I was nearing the end of the body of my Front and Back Cable Sweater, and I decided to add ribbing at the bottom of the sweater, instead of the rolled edge in the original pattern. Then I decided that the cable should really extend all the way to the bottom and the ribbing should be next to it, to mirror the design of the neckline. All this was going through my head WHILE I continued to knit away toward the bottom of the sweater. By the time I made my final decision, I was past the point where I should have started the ribbing. So every other two stitches I dropped two stitches down 12 rows and changed each of them from knits to purls with a crochet hook.



Presto! Change-o!---Ribbing! Ok, it wasn't so much "Presto! Change-o!" as it was "Grumble! Glare at my knitting! Exasperated sigh! Change-o!" but it still worked and I'm glad I went back and changed it. Next time...think first, knit second.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think first...knit second. What a concept!! I might have to try that sometime (but in the meantime I can't wait to see the sweater).

12:13 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

nice recovery! i would have to second that it's a difficult concept to grasp at times -- thinking first and knitting second...

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really is a genius idea though, I probably would have ripped back and lost all that knitting! I'm excited to see the finished product :)

1:08 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

fabulous! don't you just love when the lightbulb goes on!!!!

3:00 PM  
Blogger moosie said...

Fantastic!! that was one of the coolest things I learned in my knitting class

5:17 PM  
Blogger Kari said...

You're a genius! I love the afterthought ribbing, it really makes me think in a different way how I can manipulate 2 simple stitches! Thanks for sharing!

5:23 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

oh man! i've done that and it is indeed no fun and very tedious :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

wow, that was ambitious! i'm glad it worked out. you must be a very patient person, i'm forever ripping my knitting out in frustration.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Maryse said...

OMG, I wouldn't dare do that! Good work!

1:22 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Nicely done!

3:42 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

dang i wouldn't have ever thought of that. cheers!

9:52 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

isn't it cool when we can take control of our knitting and make it do our bidding! :)

9:10 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

It looks great! I've been doing similar grumbling -- just figured out how to drop stitches down and fix -- I've got seed stitch that I keep mucking up.

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely done!

5:23 PM  
Blogger delovely said...

That is pretty damn cool. I never would have thought of that!

5:40 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

nice save! i am duly impressed.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Maia said...

Delurking, hello.

I've thought about doing that when the purls of my ribbing start getting all loose and mucky but the tedium has so far quashed the idea. I'm glad you soldiered on though, sweater is looking great.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

painstaking solution, but so much better than ripping it back.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

YAY!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy! You have way more patience than I do. I would have ripped it back with a vengence :)

Looks great though!

2:07 PM  
Blogger lomester said...

wow... i would have never thought of that...

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home