Friday, August 17, 2007

moss stitch beret

I couldn't resist the beautiful photo of Kent's Moss Stitch Beret when I first saw it on Ravelry, and decided it would make a nice little travel project. Kent has indeed made updates to the pattern and assures me that the new version works for real. :) But even a perfectly written pattern cannot stop me from making my own knitting blunders! For starters, I used the wrong stitch. I looked up moss stitch on the good old internets and found British Moss Stitch and American Moss Stitch. So I used British Moss Stitch. Which is what I would normally refer to as seed stitch. Why I chose the British version, I do not know. I'm not British. Maybe I thought it would look better with some British flava. Maybe I thought that Kent thought that it would look better with some British flava. But I was evidently supposed to use American Moss Stitch, also known as...moss stitch. Right. Anyway.

I used one skein of Cascade 220 Wool, and I checked my gauge, but this thing must have mutated to gargantuan proportions after blocking. It. is. huge. It's bobby pinned into place in the picture, to show what it should look like. I really like the would-be result, so I think I'll rip it and try again with much fewer stitches. When I re-knit, I think I'll use ---hey!---American Moss Stitch! This will also give me a chance to do a fancy contrasting lining inside the brim like Kent's second beret. I don't think I'm much of a beret-type girl, so this will probably be a gift.

What I like best about this pattern is the construction of the brim. No, let me clarify. I LOVE the construction of the brim. The brim is sort of hemmed. (Do we have a different name for that in knitting?) You knit 3" of stockinette then fold it under and knit the CO edge into the rest of the hat. I forced two of my knitting pals to look at it, and one of them was moved to exclaim, "Wow, it's like a real hat!" Now that's a compliment.

16 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Kester said...

You.Crack.Me.Up.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Those crazy Brits! It looks great in seed stitch, though. I've always been mystified by the knitted hem- yours looks great, and you make it sound so easy.

5:49 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

You are so adorable in hats! I think you should wear Gretel and the British Moss/Seed Stitch hat v 2.0 alternately every day in the wintertime. :)

1:40 AM  
Blogger Elena said...

I really dig your seed stitch version!

3:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon! Keep one for yourself. It does look good on you!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9:40 AM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

i keep hearing about this built-in hem thing. It always seems to make a really nice looking edge.

Love the beret - the color looks great on you!

(ps: sorry about the deleted comment - i logged in with the wrong id!)

9:43 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

i think your version looks great! i think that seed stitch is notorious for stretching out like crazy. i have a seed stitch hat from my early knitting days that has stretched out to the point that i could only wear it if i had 2 heads!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Peacock Chic said...

Wow! I am lovin the slouchy berets. especially this one. They look lovely on you

2:06 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

jenna you are so cute i want to smack you, you cuhrazy british moss stitcher.

6:11 PM  
Blogger nicole said...

Well, knitting the British version wasn't such a bad call, Kent being in England and all... Too bad it doesn't fit, cause it looks darling in the photo. And the hem is fantastic. I'll be adding this hat to my queue!

11:34 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hopefully you haven't already been, but I tagged you.

http://lilybeth.wordpress.com/2007/08/19/im-flattered/

Love the hat, and the color. Great choice!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

so adorable! the tweedy-ness and the purple are perfect!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Sooo cute! I must knit one!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh, pretty :)

I love the tweedy purple yarn (it's wonderful with the closeup photo)!

Hope you get a chance to make a smaller version?

-K

p.s. Sorry for the pattern madness :(

11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm in love witn this beret!
The colour, the stitch...
...everything is so perfect!

Beijinhos
Ana

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home