Sunday, August 12, 2007

flying by the seat of my pants

I have been traveling and knitting. And with both activities, just getting there was the hard part! I did most of my knitting during several delayed flights, but the patterns I chose to bring with me didn't exactly make things any easier.

I first attempted the moss stitch beret, using Kent's pattern, which I came across on Ravelry. It looks like the pattern has been updated more than once since I first printed it out, so I won't bother saying anything about the issues I ran into. But it was nice of Kent to post the pattern and it was fun to knit. Here you can see the beret, before blocking, with the remainder of my skein of Cascade 220. (It was a close call.)

Then I began working on Ysolda's Gretel pattern. I got about 3" into it before coming to the conclusion that something was wrong and ripping most of it back out. Unless I did something very strange, it looks like the directions for T3F and/or T3B are incorrect. So I used the pattern to help me do the increases, and other than that, just followed the picture rather than the instructions to do the cables. I'm glad I ripped it back, though, because I think I might love this hat when it's done!

Oh, and where was I flying to? A variety of destinations Out West.

Top two photos courtesy of Kelly.

10 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

The travel pics are great. I just went to New Mexico and looooved it. Hope you had a good time - looks like you did!

How's the Summetime Tunic coming? I gave up on mine, I just couldn't make it work.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Kelly Kester said...

I'm so proud of that second picture! I think I'll call it "Jenna on the edge of the world"

Is the third pic from White Water rafting? I can't wait to see those.

9:24 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

both berets look great! i really like gretel! also those pics are gorgeous! what a beautiful view :-)

11:16 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

how frustrating - make sure you email the designers and let them know about mistakes - that is the only way they can fix them so the next person won't have to rip! :)

Vegas huh? looks fun!!!!

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful trip pictures! So are the knits you've started!

1:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I love that second shot of the Grand Canyon. Well, that is what I am guessing it is, anyways :) And I love your hats, too cute!

4:22 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

oh wow -- fabulous scenery! and i dig the beret, too!

10:56 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Looks like a wonderful trip, great shots.

12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the bandanna. i can't wait to see the holga shots.

don't worry- your mojo is safe. i won't be at knitting tomorrow. do an update for me, so i can sulk about the fabulous fun i missed?

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was thinking about making this beret and buying the pattern. is it worth it? or should i keep looking for another similar pattern?

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home