Sunday, July 29, 2007

so far, so good

I started both the Ribbed Lace Bolero, and the Wide Cable Sweater before leaving for vacation. Due to some flight delays and several hours of riding in the car, I got quite a bit accomplished! The lace shrug was a fun, quick knit and just has to be seamed now. I'm using Lion Brand Cotton-Ease in taupe and I have to say I really like this yarn! It's nice and soft and the acrylic gives it just enough squishiness without making it feel like squeaky acrylic. And it comes in some really beautiful Debbie Bliss-esque colors.

I finally got around to doing some crazy math for the Gedifra sweater. I really think the pattern is off (even the knits and purls are mixed up!), and since it's a raglan design anyway, I decided it would be best to knit the whole thing top-down. I used my gauge to figure out my CO number, adding extra stitches to account for the amount of shrinkage that would be caused by the wide cable, and estimated the placement of the sleeves. I just have to read the cable chart top to bottom, left to right and it does what it's supposed to. So far, so good.

11 Comments:

Blogger Team Knit said...

kelly's bolero is made from a rectangle? Hmm.. you're making me want to push it up on the project lists

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so brave, and I can't wait to see how the raglan cable sweater looks! I'm really excited for you.

9:31 PM  
Blogger sheepish one said...

wow! the gedifra sweater looks awesome!! you're so crafty...

11:25 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Oooh, I can't wait to see both as FOs. And now I need to add some Cotton Ease to my stash...

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your color choice for the lacy shrug. I am really going to have to try that cotton ease. Looks like nice stuff & nice colors.

Can't wait to see your progress on the cabled sweater. The pattern is just so lovely!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you casted on the cabled raglan sweater! I checked it out myself after I saw your photo on Flikr and I do like it. I will be following the progress. Keep us posted.

11:45 AM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

It's so nice to see the new CE colors are much more wearable and not as kiddo/clownish as the originals. I think the Gedifra sweater is going to be gorgeous. I love the photo of those cables!

12:49 PM  
Blogger rockbridge said...

i can't wait to see your progress on both of these WIPs. i am blown away by your skill and confidence in modifying the gedifra cable sweater - best of luck to you!!
btw... great yarn choice for the gedifra sweater - the stock. looks so smooth and the cables really pop. what are you using?

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great - love that dark color!

4:06 PM  
Blogger KODACHROME said...

Such beautiful WIPs. Lovely!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

great job figuring out the sweater - it's looking nice so far!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home