Wednesday, June 13, 2007

the bunny

I finally organized all my past projects in Ravelry. (At least from the time I started taking photos of my projects.) I can't say enough about what a fantastic organizational tool this site is!! For anyone not on yet, I wish you speedy invitations! It's totally worth the wait.

To assist in the organizational process, I had to dig out my old knitting journal to remind me of what I'd done over the years. My journal seems both archaic and charming to me now with Flickr and Blogger and Ravelry, but it did provide a nice little trip down memory lane... I learned to knit in October of 2003 and started keeping track of my projects in my knitting journal in December of 2004. What I thought was SO difficult and impressive just a couple years ago seems sort of silly to me now! It's funny to look back at the pattern choices I made and the project notes I jotted down. While looking through it, the words "what was I thinking" came out of my mouth more than once. However, there is one project that has stood the test of time. One that I was as proud of then as I am today. It's the Bunny Finger Puppet. The bunny keeps on keepin' on. I think he's adorable and guess what else...I have the pattern. Alright, it's not specific and surely won't be chronicled in the knitting annals forevermore, and maybe you can knit a bunny finger puppet with your eyes closed and one hand tied behind your back, but this was very early on in my knitting and I was pretty impressed with myself for not only figuring it out, but actually writing it down. And so I'm sharing. :)


Bunny Finger Puppet
Needles: #2 straight and #6 dpn (you'll be knitting tightly to make the finger puppet sturdy!)

Yarn: worsted weight scrap yarn in white, black, and pink (or whatever color scheme your bunny prefers)

Gauge: meh.

Body:
  • Using white yarn and size 6 dpn's CO 18 st.
  • Join for knitting in the round and knit 18 rows.
  • Cut yarn and run through all stitches. Fasten tightly.
Ears:
  • Using white yarn and size 2 needles CO 6 st.
  • k1, p1 for 13 rows.
  • Cut yarn and run through all stitches, pull tightly to make the top of the ear appear narrower.
  • Make another.
Sew both bunny ears to the top of the bunny body.

Weave in ends.

Use black yarn to make eyes and pink yarn to make a nose. I don't have a special method for this. I just wrapped the yarn around one of the stitches and tied it on the inside.
Enjoy!

19 Comments:

Blogger Sally said...

I think the Bunny is really stinkin' cute.

Isn't Ravelry the best? I just love it. This is really going to help me grow as a knitter, which is what my knitting group has done for me over the past year. I've already done things I deemed impossible just a few months ago.

And I'm growing to accept the Sopranos ending... grudgingly. ;o)

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh, that bunny is SO cute! I need to knit me some finger puppets. I don't know what for, but they are sure cute.

12:14 AM  
Blogger moosie said...

I love the bunny! Thanks for the pattern, that will be my instant gratification knit for my new niece's!!

12:26 AM  
Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Awww, the bunny is adorable! I'm still working on getting everything loaded into Ravelry... it's so fun!

6:36 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

ok - that is just too darn cute....

funny how you look back at old projects, etc and really wonder what the heck you were thinking, but at the time it seemed SO right....

7:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's adorable! My mom once bought me really intricate knit finger puppets from Peru of piggies and giraffes etc. Too fun.

may
mayflwr.typepad.com

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww! What a cutie! Ravelry is great, I wish I had more time to play on there.

5:13 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

You are so cute I could just die.

7:04 PM  
Blogger 3goodrats said...

Adorable, as are bunny rabbits in any form!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Super, super cute! It would be awesome to give one along with a bunny beanie as a gift.

Here's the bunny beanie pattern:
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/1445260.html

It's one of my favorite projects ever.

9:32 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

What a cutie patootie!!

11:13 PM  
Blogger sweetfigs said...

Thanks for the pattern of your cute bunny!

4:02 PM  
Blogger tiennieknits said...

So cute!

7:42 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Cute cute CUTE!

7:29 PM  
Blogger shopgirl said...

love the bunny! thanks for sharing the pattern!

Oh my I am impressed that you got your projects up on Ravelry so quickly. I started out with the goal of adding one project per log-in, but I just get totally hypnotized by browsing other projects that I never pimp my profile, plus I haven't gotten any knitting done either! I think it's my downfall!

12:31 AM  
Blogger KnittenKnots said...

Seriously cute bunny...I can see why he has stood the test of time.

2:26 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i love that hippity hoppity bunny!

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bunny is so. cute. I have some leftover dk weight white yarn, I think I need to make one!

12:07 AM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

SO Cute! I am going to have to make some! Thank you!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home