Tuesday, May 15, 2007

at the same time

After ripping and starting for a THIRD time on one of the front panels of the Ruffled Surplice, I'm actually making significant progress. Slow, but significant. Why did I knit this thing THREE times? Because of "At the same time." My least favorite phrase in all the knitting instructions in all the world. I like to think I'm kind of a smart cookie, in general, but my brain throws up its hands and takes a coffee break when it sees "At the same time."

The real reason my knitting progress is slow because of my new craft addiction. My free time is now divided between knitting and jewelry making. I guess my addiction is not that new, actually. I used to make jewelry several years ago, which eventually took a back seat to soap making. For a while, I sold my handmade bath and body products at craft shows and through a couple boutiques in my area, but my interest eventually fizzled and the soap making was replaced by the knitting. It's not that I've lost interest in knitting, but I've rediscovered my interest in jewelry making. I guess I enjoy crafts that are somewhat functional. Having the Etsy shop has been fun, too. (Although my friends and family keep scooping up the good stuff before it's in the shop for very long!) I want to keep a variety of items in the shop, and I expect to have several more fine silver pieces in there very soon, but ever since I acquired the proper tools and found out where to get good beads, I can't stop making rings...

18 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

I hate that phrase too - I way too often miss it and find it after I've completed most of the part I was knitting. So frustrating!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your jewelry is beautiful, I will be stopping by your Etsy shop this week to make a purchase.
Maryam

11:29 AM  
Blogger Maryann said...

These are really impressive! I love them all! Off to your Etsy store now... ;o)

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i la la love the pearls. i have gotten sooooooooo many compliments on your necklace- i want to wear it all the time.

3:53 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i love that jewelry! popping over to your etsy store now!

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the rings. I'm off to buy one..=D

7:51 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Those are lovely!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave jewelry making a shot after seeing a friend's handmade beaded necklace but I got frustrated by all the tiny pieces and struggling with the wire to get the perfect loop.

Practice makes perfect I suppose.

I love your collection of rings, however. I'm partial to the green one!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Mary Heather said...

OMG!! Your rings are so pretty!!! Definitely going to have to stop by your etsy shop! I love the ones with multiple stones. Very chunky and pretty!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Nice rings! I just got back from Italy and there are HUGE rings with dangly bits and stuff all over the place there. If you are wanting to try something slightly different.....

2:45 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

carol, how funny---I just made one earlier today with dangly bits and stuff! I wonder if it's the same type of thing you're talking about.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love your rings jenna-- Specially the top left! sooo cute

10:07 PM  
Blogger LC said...

i really love your jewelry - so gorgeous! i admire your knitting too, everything you make is so well done!

10:27 PM  
Blogger shopgirl said...

Your rings are gorgeous! I am also not a fan of the phrase "at the same time." It always screws me up!

11:40 AM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

I've been out of town, so I haven't been checking blogs, but WOW! I'm so blown away by your beautiful jewelry! I am definitely going to snap some up once I figure out my ring size!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Sabrina Hirsch said...

Ahh, so many crafts, so little time...Your rings are absolutely beautiful!

1:30 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

OH MY GOD I CHECK YR BLOG EVERYDAY AND EVEN IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN KNITTING (do you think that ME of all people cares if you only post knitting content?) JUST PLZ POST SOMETHING. i have like Jenna withdrawl.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I was going to comment on this last week but then time got away from me! You are so talented!! And so lucky to have so many creative outlets to dabble in. Me, I'm mainly a knitter. So I'm glad to have found you who can make the type of jewelry I'd make if I could make it! hehe.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home