Sunday, April 01, 2007

non-knitting bridal shower craftiness

I feel like I haven't been knitting as much lately. There are a variety of reasons, but basically things are just very busy for me right now, so I have a bunch of other things sucking up my knitting time. Since I don't have much knitting progress to post, I decided to break my self-imposed rule of only posting knitting content (I'm sure it's a slippery slope from here on out) and show you some of the bridal shower craftiness I've been working on!

One of my dearest friends is having a sweets-themed bridal shower and since I'm much less likely to do irreparable damage with a glue gun than with a cooking utensil, I quickly volunteered to do the centerpieces and favors. I was a little stumped at first with the theme, so thank goodness for Martha Stewart! Or rather, thank goodness for the minions who work in her design department. Either way, these projects came out so stinkin' cute I can hardly stand it! I got together with one of the other bridesmaids (another dear friend) and we had a girly, crafty evening, whipping up monogrammed cookies and candy topiaries. Both projects were very easy and kinda corny, but quite lovely, just the same.

The idea for the monogrammed cookies was stolen directly from Martha's website. Now, I'm no Betty Crocker, so we used premade sugar cookie dough and cut out the cookies with a flower shaped cookie cutter. I got a flat-tipped icing applicator thingy (see? NOT Betty Crocker!) to do the lettering with chocolate icing. I was glad the bride's new last name didn't begin with a more complicated letter! After the icing had set, I popped them into cellophane bags, used twist-ties to close the bags and attach the "Thank You" tags we stamped, and finished them off with bows. We made the cookies a couple weeks in advance, so they are currently residing in my freezer.

For the topiaries, I began by painting the dowels white, and painting the flower pots with geometric patterns, using white and off-white acrylic paint, accented with metallic gold. I jammed some florist's foam in the bottom (I had to trim it to fit with a serrated knife), stuck a 12" dowel into a 4" styrofoam ball, and then slapped the ball/dowel apparatus into the pot. Thinking that I wanted the centerpieces to be ultimately edible, I pinned the foil-wrapped candies into the styrofoam ball using straight pins, but in retrospect, I probably could have hot-glued them without corrupting the candy too much. I tied a wide ribbon and a narrower ribbon at the top of each dowel, and covered the florist's foam in the pot with the leftover candies. I used a lot more candy than I thought I would for the three topiaries. I actually made two trips to the grocery store to pick the pinks and reds out of the bins. I think it took about 4-6 pounds, total.

In the midst of all this I realized that I must have a penchant for corny, themed bridal showers. Last spring I threw a Mad Hatter Tea Party for my sister's shower (photos below). It was a lovely affair, complete with flamboyant homemade hats. I don't know that I'll ever top that soiree (it was a good one!) but I hope this bride enjoys her sweets shower!

15 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

I love the idea of the mad hatter tea party for a shower... might be just the thing for my sister's shower ;)

2:52 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

i love alice in wonderland and think a mad hatter tea party is a great idea! i might have to pick your brain about that one at some point. and the topiaries are to die for!!!

7:17 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Wow Jenna. Love the cookies, candy trees and the mad hatter idea is great. You are like the bridesmaid extraordinaire. You are one, making all other bridesmaids look really bad and two, you are just going to be in a lot of weddingsif you keep up this up. Seriously I want you to plan my non-exsistent wedding shower.

9:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

will the cuteness never end?! she'll love it, i'm sure! (also, the drink me tag makes me happy.)

10:19 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

you have some great shower ideas!!!!! the cookies look great (especially for a first time monogrammer!) and the topiaries are so cute! and pink!

9:53 AM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

I love the craftiness! Those cookies are totally perfect! And the topiaries are really fun, too. Your friend is a very lucky bride!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

The favors and centerpieces look wonderful!!!! And they do look like they were fun to make.

Unfortunately, I can't see the teaparty pics, but the idea is great.

thanks for sharing. And if this is indeed a slippery slope, it's not a bad one to slide down along with knitting.

3:24 PM  
Blogger Kelly Kester said...

Could you GET any cuter?!?!?! You're killing me!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dear, do you know how to make a Hoodie with normal fabric, not knit? :S

i wish to know how can i make one :(
do you know any book or site? or anything? thanks :)

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next time I see you I am going to pinch your cheeks so hard you're gonna like be screaming and begging me to stop but I'm gonna keep pinching them because you.are.so.effing.cute.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE your candy topiaries. I got into making these a couple of years ago and they sold like hotcakes! You can see some samples of mine on Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kim_thibodeaux/. All of mine were made using hot glue - lots of burnt fingertips! (Please excuse the amateur photography. I've come a long way since then). If anyone needs some pointers on making these, I'll be happy to share!

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! My name is genevieve. I came across your blog because I myself am planning a wedding shower with a Mad Hatter theme. I was wondering if you would be able to email me with any hints/ideas etc... that you have. My email is gx_wickenden@laurentian.ca Thank you so much! :)

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey? My name is Kiersten. I am throwing a Mad Hatter theme bridal shower and I love the hats you made. I was wondering how you made them and what materials you used. My email is kierstengilbert@yahoo.com. Thanks so much!!!

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the trees. My mother and I are using your idea and making centerpieces for a bridal shower. Thanks for the wonderful idea.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home