Monday, March 12, 2007

radical

I recently had the opportunity to spend a long weekend in New York City. Jane was my travel buddy and expert tour guide and...we didn't kill each other! (And what I really mean is that she didn't kill me.) Not only did we not kill each other---it was a fabulous weekend. I'm embarrassed to admit that it was my first time visiting New York, even though I live relatively close by. Shame on me. We did some touristy stuff and some non-touristy stuff and I LOVED every minute of it. I loved it in the way that I know I'm going to need to go back every so often just to get a fix.

Thank goodness Jane's a knitter, since I was dying to see the Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting exhibit at the Museum of Art and Design, and not everyone would have been so easily swayed. There were some wild pieces in the show. Some of it was easily understood, being very obviously connected to the craft of knitting, and some of it was a bit more conceptual and esoteric. But it was appealing and intriguing, nonetheless. Hey, an entire art exhibit about knitting? That's something in itself. If you can get there before June 17th, go see it! My favorite piece was the lace car parts. But not the actual car parts themselves, it was the lace pattern in the dust on the floor that got me.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stacey said...

sounds like a fun time!!! I'm about 3 hrs from NYC and don't get there often enough

12:45 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

:) i live here and i still haven't gone to see that show yet! (and knowing me, i'll never make it.)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

I'm dying to go see that exhibit. I'm hoping to combine it & a stop to an nyc yarn shop with my knitting friends before the exhibits over.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of that show- I am heading to NYC this weekend. :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger shopgirl said...

Thanks for blogging about the exhibit. I happen to be taking a cross country trip to NYC in april, so I will have to see this!

11:01 PM  
Blogger krazybarrister said...

aw, shucks.

yes, i am just getting around to catching up on blogs and posts of days gone by.

we'll do it again sometime, i promise.

in the meantime, here's to vegas, et. al!

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home