Wednesday, February 14, 2007

snow day slippers

There's no better feeling than a snow day. It's euphoric. I know not everyone gets snow days anymore, but I am one of those people who has been lucky enough get them every once in a while, even in my adult life. Sometimes I have a hard time going back to sleep after hearing the news because I get so childishly excited. (It's true.) I love my job, but you can't beat a surprise day off in the middle of the week when you get to veg out and drink hot chocolate and watch bad daytime tv and knit.

So today, with the snow falling at the rate of 1-2" per hour, I knit myself some slippers. I found the Side Cable Slippers pattern through someone's blog or Flickr account, but of course I can't find it anymore. So if it was you, thanks! I used about 75 yards of chunky weight yarn, double stranded (150 yards total) on size 15 needles, and knit these up in a matter of hours. In my family, we have a tendency to receive really ugly handknit slippers. Of course, we always wear holes right through them, no matter how ugly they are. Anyway, although I had other color choices in my stash, in the spirit of ugly handknit slippers, I had to go for the rust orange. :)

18 Comments:

Blogger schrodinger said...

Those slippers are fantastic!!! Sounds like you had a great snow day :)

9:17 PM  
Blogger margaux said...

i love snow days too! (i try not to rub it in to my other non-educational friends). what great slippers, they look very comfy.

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Snow Day!! I hope you aren't too buried up there :) Great slippers - they look so comfy! Stay warm!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

MMMmmm...your ugly slippers look so comfy! Looks like a really neat pattern (and I LOOVE ugly colours!)

10:16 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

Those look so comfy! Adorable snow day project! :)

10:21 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

they certainly don't look ugly to me! :) in fact, i love them!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Sally said...

Aren't snow days great? I work in a high school, so I get paid to stay home in weather like this. Love the slippers. Have fun shoveling when the snow stops.

11:41 AM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

Those slippers are great! The cables up the side are terrific--not ugly at all! I bet they're super toasty, too. A perfect thing to knit on a snow day!

4:21 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

wonderful! yay for weather too dangerous for learning!!! sounds like a good way to get rid of some yarn. i'm in full-on "use what you have cos you are forbidden from buying more yarn/fabric/craft matter" mode. so this could be a good thing. thanks, girlie.

11:07 AM  
Blogger Carrie Penny said...

Oooh... I need an easy project to take my mind off my fair isle issues... FUN!

Thank you for making my day today (no, you don't know me...)!

www.sadlonelycreator.blogspot.com

2:18 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I don't think those are ugly at all. They look great on you!

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those slippers look comfy..and I don't think there ugly either. Nice knit for a snow day. :)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

I think those slippers look great, totally comfy. The zip up hoodie is looking really good too, you should post the pattern when you're done.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Zia said...

Hi Jenna..
I tagged 6 people recently but one person had been previously tagged.
Would you like to be tagged if you haven't been already?
If you do, just go here for details:

http://ziaperamore.blogspot.com/2007/02/i-have-dreamed-about-being-tagged-for.html

And by the way, love the slippers!

Cheers!

8:35 AM  
Blogger Windansea said...

You know...I love those. I'm going to go search for the pattern right now. Lydia

2:49 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

lucky you! i work in a hospital, so it never closes! boooo! the slippers are so cute! a great use for bulky yarn!

11:30 AM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

Cute! I think the colour's OK (although I much admit an aversion to wearing orange...makes me look like a cheezle)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Dorothy said...

Great slippers! Thanks for the link.

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home