Thursday, February 22, 2007

hoodie frustration and hoodie elation

The zip-up hoodie is one zipper installation away from being finished. I made two attempts at the i-cord edging, but it muddled the edge of the cable too much. Since I rushed headlong into this project without really thinking, the only thing on the outer edge of the cable is one garter stitch. I'm not really sure what the right answer would have been, since I wanted the cables to meet in the middle, but wanted to prevent the edge from rolling too much. I could have added a ribbed edge, but again, I really wanted the cabled to meet in the center. So I decided to block the thing and hope for the best. I figured I would have to sew the zipper in by hand, since I hardly left myself any room to work with. I finished sewing one side last night, and was pretty pleased with how it looked. It was then that I realized that I purchased a zipper that does NOT separate at the bottom. (sigh...) This is SO like me.

My refuge from this frustration has been a lace hoodie pattern from Rebecca 32. I started this at knitting club last week, and (of course) butchered the lace pattern for the first couple inches. The pattern is knit flat, but I decided to knit in the round and my novice brain has a bit of trouble comprehending what I should do on wrong side rows when knitting in the round if it's not written out for me. The good thing about ripping it all out was that I realized that it would have been way too big, so on my second cast-on I eliminated a couple pattern repeats. It's going smoothly now and I love the way the lace pattern is shaping up.


I plan on finishing the zip-up hoodie by this weekend, as soon as I drag myself to the store to get the correct materials. I swear, this is SO like me...

16 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Your new project looks GORGEOUS!

12:36 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

Dude I effing hate zippers. They are the Devil. You are not alone. That lace pattern is very pretty, it looks like THE SECRET UNDERPANTS! You're brill. xoxo.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that pattern! I ordered that issue just for that pattern (although I've peeked at others that look pretty good too) and I can't wait. Hurry up mail! Yours is looking lovely, what yarn are you using?

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You ought to get a commission. Having seen the start of your lace hoodie, I may *have* to go order Rebecca 32 myself. It's lovely already!

4:22 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

The hoodie is turning out quite nice! Are you using Bel Air yarn? I really like the way that looks, I just couldn't afford it. Good Job!

4:41 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

oooh, i dig that lace pattern. reminds me of the february baby sweater or razor cami or something, and i loved knitting both of those. you get in a great rhythm. it's gonna be fab.

6:07 PM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

Wow, you're all about the hoodies right now! The new project looks beautiful--it's a very nice pattern. And good luck with the zip-up hoodie, too. I'm sure you can barrel on through and get it done!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

Eh, you can always put the hoodie on over your head so you don't have to take the zipper out. heh. j/k. so frustrating, i'm sure.

is that lace gull stitch? it looks lovely!

6:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so pretty!

3:27 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

ahh zippers....never easy! the new hoodie is great - i love the lace pattern! what yarn are you using?

9:17 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Thanks for showing this - it's so going to make it onto my "to-knit" list. So lovely.

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that lace pattern!

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- The Rebecca hoodie you started looks great! Can't wait to see it grow. You talking about the zipper reminded me of the time I made a special trip to purchase sz 6 dpns and got the 4.5mm, only when I got home did I realize there were two different sz 6's and I needed the 4.0 mms. Doh!

6:33 PM  
Blogger elizabeth marley said...

Good luck with the whole zipper thing--that's uncharted territory for me. I love that lace pattern, lace looks so nice in white.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

That lace pattern is really pretty! I hope you've figured out the zipper for your hoodie. I've just started my first cardigan and it's for my fashion-conscious husband. Hopefully I don't screw up the zipper too badly. I'm not holing out much hope for myself.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Love that lace pattern, especially in the white! Patience with the zipper, you'll get there and when you do it will be fabulous!

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home