Monday, February 12, 2007

first fair isle

It's been so long since I've learned something new, knitting or otherwise. And I'm one of those nerds that just kind of likes to learn...stuff. Well, I finally learned how to do Fair Isle. Last week I started a class at Wild Wools and we're working on the Kristin Nicholas pillow pattern from Vogue Knitting Holiday 2005. I'm so glad I taught myself how to knit continental so that I can do Fair Isle with both hands. I thought it might be too complicated at first, but I knit about 3 stitches using only the English method before I picked up the yarn with my left hand, too. There's so much to hold on to, it just made more sense. I think my tension is a little uneven, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. I can't believe it took me so long to jump on the Fair Isle bandwagon! It's fun --- and not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. I can see why people get addicted to it!

11 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

Looks pretty good!

FI is definitely one of my favorite things to knit.

7:55 PM  
Blogger krazybarrister said...

yeah, that two-handed trick is quite handy. though i'm still not convinced that one can keep tension knitting english! ;)tu

12:46 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

As soon as I tried it I got hooked too. I find myself going through phases -- color work, texture, and back again.

Looks great!

9:27 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

love your color choices! that'll definitely be a fun knit.

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your colors are so pretty! I hope to learn how to do that someday.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

Color work is so much fun. And even better if you're doing it two-handed so your yarn doesn't become a twisted mess! I can't wait to see more. It looks great so far. Isn't it fun to see a pattern emerge?

1:24 PM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I love Kristin Nicholas' use of color - what a great first project! I am teaching myself color knitting right now, and so far so good. Your method of taking a class is probably better though - I am pretty sure I am not doing it right, but the results are okay! :)

Can't wait to see more!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Learning is NOT nerdy!

And I want to learn Fair Isle too. I need to make Eunny Jang's End Paper mitts.

Looks good to me, keep up the good work!

7:23 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

Glad to here Fair Isle is not as hard as it looks, I'm really looking forward to learning how to do it. I love your color choices.

7:04 AM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

girlfriend that looks so fun! i am happy for you, pursuing higher degrees of knitting. does it bother you (it bothers me) that the female equivalent of the male "master" is "mistress", with all it's negative concubine connotations? heh you mistress of the yarn. meow. you like it.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

that looks great! isn't it weird how addicting it is????

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home