Monday, January 22, 2007

wip: zip

The zip-up hoodie is coming along fairly well. I consulted a couple more patterns to help figure out the decreases. Apparently, I would rather guesstimate than actually take the time to figure out how to make a sweater that will fit me, as this has transformed from The Sweater of No Pattern into The Sweater of 5 Patterns...give or take a pattern. (Sigh)...someday I'll learn. I don't have that much invested in this one, though. It was a spontaneous project, and I usually spend a good deal of time considering my projects before jumping in. And in that same spirit of spontaneity, I'm using some yarn I grabbed out of my stash. Or rather, my "stash." Truth be told, I'm not a stasher. Actually, admitting that you don't go berserk hoarding yarn in every color, fiber, gauge and texture will get you some very strange looks from other knitters! Stashing usually goes with the territory. But I don't. Don't know why. I just don't. My "stash" consists of skeins that have gone unused because I fell out of love with the project before I even got started as well as leftovers from completed projects. The yarn I pulled out of there is an acrylic/wool blend and I am NOT enjoying it. I'm trying to tell myself that I'm keeping it real and fighting yarn snobbery by using an acrylic blend. Myself is not really believing me, though. The yarn just feels...acrylic-y. I don't remember what my original intention for the yarn was, but I know I bought it a long time ago. When I didn't know much or care much about fiber content. Sure...keeping it real. That's what I'm doing.

12 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

it's hard keeping it real when the yarn feels like acrylic. i used to not care all that much but now, if the yarn feels at all "squeaky" i just can't take it! it's so hard to knit with stuff that you don't absolutely love.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Jenna, you are preaching to the choir. I, too, have become a yarn snob in spite of myself. I do find, however, that when crocheting a blanket I will ONLY work in acrylic. Which is kinda weird. Anyhoo, I like the sweater, and remember
acrylic = machine wash + machine dry. :o)

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm not a fan of acrylic content either, but the color sure looks gorgeous. the sweater is coming along nicely!

5:43 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Well, at least you don't have to be careful when washing, right?

It looks very nice so far.

6:19 PM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

At least you can machine wash the sweater, right? Acrylic does have some uses, although I can understand not being a fan. At any rate, the color is very nice! I hope the FO turns out well!

1:20 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

ah yes, the days before we knew better...that is what the skeins of my acrylic blend are doing shoved in the back of my closet. But, you could consider this a design project to figure out things for later projects...at least it's working up pretty quick!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Alison said...

Looks good so far. I'm a yarn snob, too. But I bet it'll be comfy to wear around the house, if nothing else.

My "stash" is the same as yours. I quickly learned to only buy yarn with a particular project in mind, because otherwise I never had enough of what I needed (or I had way too much).

3:00 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

At least you chose a pretty color to be wrestling with. And look! You're about halfway done now; soon you can reward yourself with some really lovely yarn for your next project.

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like the least I have invested in a project the better it turns out. If I am using a real expensive yarn, I tend to freak out and seize up a little because I really want it to work out. I recycle sweaters from thrift stores and just work away with out fear. One of my favorites is a pink lacey hoodie done completely in acrylic, now I am a real big yarn snob but I gotta tell ya, I love my hoodie. And, aver throwing it in the washer and dryer for the hundreth time, it still looks great. Oh well....

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only started knitting a year and a half ago and started on Rowan so was spoilt to start with and always avoid acrylic but good wool's sooooo expensive if you want to do a big project when you're not really sure you can do it justice I agonize for ages before going ahead!

11:51 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

that color is so rich and saturated, and i like the cabley goodness of it.

11:27 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

i adore you. you can do no wrong, in acrylic or otherwise. unless you start saying "irregardless" or "PIN number". those are dealbreakers. is it just me or does new blogger not allow you to disable anonymous commenters? damn new blogger.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home