Tuesday, January 30, 2007

(more) works (still) in progress

My zippered hoodie is coming along, and I have made my peace with the wool/acrylic blend. I just have to finish off the short sleeves and knit the hood. I'll continue the cable around the front edge of the hood and graft the top together. I'm going to finish off the front edge of the cable by doing an i-cord edging all the way around. Then I have to attach a zipper, which I've never done before. I've heard scary things about installing zippers, but ignorance is bliss, so I'm not worried about it yet. I guess I'll probably use the Chic Knits tutorial.

I started the February baby sweater from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac a few weeks ago, but it kind of stalled out when I realized that I was going to run out of yarn. I ordered more, but started the hoodie while I was waiting, so that project has been occupying most of my knitting attention lately. I found the EZ baby sweater instructions a bit confusing at first. I guess maybe it's because I am newcomer to EZ and her knitting philosophies. But I realized that I was simply overthinking it. I momentarily forgot that I do, indeed, know how to knit a baby sweater and that I don't necessarily need a pattern to walk me through every little step! Everything's fine now.

9 Comments:

Blogger spajonas said...

i felt the same way about the EZ sweater but then realized it was more of a guide than a rigid pattern. then, all of a sudden, it became much easier! i love the color that you chose. aurora 8 is great!

4:54 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

Lovely knits!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I've been quietly reading your blog for a while now and I have to say that I really enjoy watching the progress you make as well as the patterns that you devise. I was wondering if, when you are done, you might be able to provide a little pattern help with your zippered hoodie? I think it's turning out beautifully and remember you saying that its more an experimentation with several patterns rather than having its own pattern. Good luck with the zipper!

8:59 PM  
Blogger BrownPants said...

ez IS knitting philosophy isn't she! People laugh when I say that!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

it's coming along great - I think the cable around the hood is a nice touch - along with the grafting.

the zipper isn't nearly as bad as you think - a bit scary when you take it to the sewing machine, but just follow all her steps and you'll be golden! it's the tutorial I used to do mine....

9:26 AM  
Blogger seedless grape said...

Both projects look great--you've made a lot of progress! I especially like the pink of the baby sweater; what a brilliant color!

10:03 AM  
Blogger Lolly said...

I installed a zipper, and it was not bad at all ;) Love your progress shots!

3:40 PM  
Blogger 1001Nightmares said...

I found your blog while looking for commentary on the same EZ sweater. If I may ask, how did you manage the sleeves, particularly the second sleeve? I'm not sure what to do once I've come to the end of the first sleeve. I love EZ, but sometimes her "pithy directions" are a bit too pithy! *LOL*

7:56 PM  
Blogger erin michelle said...

jenna i cant wait til you write a book and like everyone talks about JT and has like thompsonmania and shit its gonna be pretty awesome cos i can be like oh i know her oh heck yeah. pretty much. youre doing awesome.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home