Wednesday, January 10, 2007

kids' stuff

I finished the Child's Placket Neck Pullover this weekend. I completed the majority of it while otherwise doing jack squat on Sunday. I knit the 6-12 month size and used a little more than one skein of Reynolds Signature on size 6 needles. This will be gifted to a friend who will be having her first baby in April. They don't know whether it will be a boy or a girl so, of course, I went with what I thought was a neutral pattern and color. But no pastels, here. I like my babies in bright colors! (And when I say "my" babies, I mean "your" babies.) The sweater is knit bottom-up, so I grafted stitches for the first time, under the arms. I had heard horror stories about grafting, but it wasn't too bad. Although I had my nose in the Vogue Knitting reference book for every stitch. I've always thought this was a cute pattern, and I was happy to get the chance to finally try it. Not that I'm lacking in the Pregnant Friends Department...

I also began working on the baby sweater from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac. I'm using Karabella Aurora 8 in a deep magenta, since this sweater will be for a baby girl. I re-started a couple times because I was indecisive about my needle size, but I'm definitely ahead of schedule on this project, too. The baby girl isn't due until May.

And as every older sibling knows, when you get saddled with a little brother or sister, you totally deserve a present. So I ordered the felted fox kit from Crafty Alien. I never had the urge to knit a toy until I saw her "Backyard Critters" on Craftster. They are unreasonably cute. And felted! It's been quite a while since I felted something. I can't wait to start on the fox for the big brother of the new baby sister!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bought her patterns (not kits) & have knitted the hedgehog & racoon. They are addicting and adorable. She's incredible at pattern writing...you'll buzz thru these in about an hour! Can't wait to see the finished cutie! Adorable baby sweater too..I like the alternative colors on babies too...pastels...yawn!
anne sheridan

6:03 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

I love that you thought to knit a gift for the older brother too! How thoughtful!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

The little sweater is very cute. I just knit up the same pattern, and it's such a quick knit.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

Adorable sweater and that fox is too cute!

9:05 PM  
Blogger krazybarrister said...

ooh, seeing your placket sweater, i am now torn between that and trellis. though she is my bestest friend since the beginning of time, so maybe her future son will just get both ;)

12:23 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

the placket neck sweater is a great, basic, cute baby sweater - i knit one for my little cousin out of bright orange cotton-ease!

the felted fox is adorable! i'm headed over to check out her stuff....

10:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

holy cow! thanks for posting about the crafty alien--I just went and ordered a shwackload of their patterns--so adorable!!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is an adorable sweater. And those Crafty Alien patterns are just too cute.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi - I loved the placket sweater so much that I started one for my grandson. Unfortunately I don't understand the directions for the sleeves. I've tried 3 different times to figure out how to add the sleeve stitches on but can't do it. Can you give me any advice?

8:31 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

Hope, if you'd like to leave your e-mail address, I'd be happy to try to help you!

7:35 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh, nice sweater!

10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home