Sunday, December 17, 2006

slouchy beret

Well, I finally figured it out, I guess. Wendy, of Knit and Tonic, did post her Le Slouch pattern last week, which helped me figure out exactly how long to knit this hat to get the right amount of slouch. I was able to rip out some of what I had started a while ago and just re-knit the top half, so I didn't follow her pattern exactly. Le Slouch is knit in seed stitch and I already had this one going in garter stitch. Actually, it's not technically garter stitch. It's more like reverse stockinette for cheaters or something. You knit the whole thing on dpn's then turn it inside out to show the purled side. I stole that trick from Wendy's Last Minute Purled Beret pattern, which was one of the patterns I referred to when I first tried to knit this hat. (Of course, my sister told me it looks exactly like I just turned my hat inside out...but whatever...) I used 125 yards of some cheap tweedy yarn that I picked almost all the tweed out of and size 9 needles, so it went pretty quickly. It was satisfying to finally conquer this hat and get it to do what I wanted, even though I don't know how much I'll really wear it. I'm not much of a hat person to begin with, so a slouchy beret might be a bit much for a girl like me. I've got low hat-esteem. :)

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! The hat looks great, with the perfect amount of slouch. (And no, it doesn't look like you turned it inside out.) The color looks very good on you--I hope you'll get over the low hat-esteem and wear it with pride!

2:13 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Aw, I think that looks awesome on you!

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hat is good and particularly the colour. On me, it would be the slouch to one side. I've got great hat-esteem, wear them all the time, except not berets for me.
Gillian

3:00 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

It looks fantastic! You must wear it.

3:55 PM  
Blogger krazybarrister said...

this might be the time to up that hat esteem, as it's quite lovely!

7:40 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

that is really fun and i LOVe the color.

7:48 PM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

I know what you mean about low hat esteem; I think hats are great but I never seem to wear them. You, however, look so cute in that beret! I think you should get used to wearing it because the style and the color are really flattering on you.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I don't care about your hat esteem. I am telling you this is super cute and you should wear it as much as possible!

9:15 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

You *must* wear the hat, you look fantastic in it!

12:27 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

That came out very cute! Just slouchy enough!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Siow Chin said...

This looks so cute on you! Just right, and now I might have to knit this too but I won't be able to carry it off like you do :)

7:56 PM  
Blogger opportunityknits said...

Fabulous hat on a pretty model. Makes me want a slouchy red hat right now!

2:58 AM  
Blogger lekkercraft said...

i love your le slouch - the more i see of these, the more i want to make one!

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TOO CUTE!

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks great! I've been wanting to knit myself one of these slouchy hats. Do you have the pattern?

11:51 PM  
Blogger annette said...

Hi, I am knitting a scarf with Paton Divine (a mohairy bulky yarn) and would love to make a slouch beret like this to go with it. Please, please give me the pattern too :)
anneh

10:04 PM  
Blogger Steffi said...

That hat is absolutely perfect! Now if only I could knit one up that looked as good on me... Wear your hat with pride!!!

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg just the style i was lookin 4 i need 2 know the pattern so i can make 1 its SO cut contact me @: princess91195@yahoo.com

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home