Tuesday, November 14, 2006

wire votives

Amidst all the sweater knitting last weekend, I also found time to whip up these little babies! Bead and wire votive candle holders a la Handknit Holidays. To be honest, I only glanced at the pattern to see what size needles they recommended. I was more directly inspired by Kelly at knitting club a few weeks ago. There's not much pattern to it, really. Just pre-string your beads (approximately "a whole bunch"), cast on how many stitches you think you need (about "meh" or so), and knit in garter stitch until it wraps around your glass votive candle holder, knitting the beads in "ya know, when you feel like it." To be a bit more specific, for these votives I used 24 gauge wire on size 8 needles, cast on 13 stitches, and knit for about 6.5". If you use votive candle holders with straight sides, you need not worry about shaping! I used almost 30 yards of wire for the two votives. Knitting with wire wasn't the most fun ever, but, being my first foray into housewares, it was something different for me---and they do go pretty quickly. I would probably use 26 gauge wire if I tried them again. I think they're pretty enough to be gifted to someone this Christmas...I just have to decide on a "lucky" recipient!

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those always turn out so beautifully. Did knitting with the wire hurt your hands?

4:12 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Those look so pretty, you're right they would make a great gift.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh! How long did they take?

5:01 PM  
Blogger Saun said...

Your votives look really nice. I tried wire knitting once and hated it. I like how it looks but it is murder on the hands.

5:07 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

The votives look beautiful. I dont know how knitting with wire would be, is it easy. I love your dad's cabled jumper, and your cabled jumper looks wonderful too. Glad I found your blog, now I can keep reading it.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooh those look great! They will make a perfect gift. I wanted to give these a shot, but I'm a little scared of the wire knitting...

5:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those look SO. COOL. =)

5:31 PM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

They look beautiful, I'm sure knitting with wire is as good (bad) as it sounds, but sooooo worth it. What great pictures you take.

6:56 PM  
Blogger Stacey said...

Those are so neat! I keep seeing them around blog-land and eventually I'll give them a try!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Kelly Kester said...

yours look great... I love the gold wire. I've gotta pick up some more beads- I think I'm going to knock off some of these for Christmas!

8:37 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

i love these every time i see someone making them. did you graft together the ends so that it made one tube?

11:35 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

your work is just beautiful. I've never tried knitting with wire, but your votive holders look good enough for me to give it a try.

Is the wire hell on metal needles? I imagine that they'd be all scratched up by the time they're done. If so, can you still knit garments with them without having the scratches snag your work?

2:04 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

these look great. i think i'll try crocheting with wire and beads soon. very pretty.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home