Monday, November 27, 2006

santa's workshop

The following serves as further proof that I am maybe kinda not right. At one point I declared that I would not be knitting anything for Christmas this year. Obviously, I was full of it. This first thing I did over Thanksgiving break was whip up a pair of fingerless gloves using the Fetching pattern from Knitty. I had purchased a couple balls of Cashmerino Aran on sale a while ago, with this pattern in mind. I finally got around to knitting them this weekend and they went SO quickly. The thumb is not beautiful, but it's passable. I prefer mitten and glove patterns with a thumb gusset, but using waste yarn to make the thumb opening was pretty easy, and it didn't seem to affect the fit. These fingerless gloves will soon be deployed to Iraq to serve our country by warming the hands of CPT Jackie, JAG, and lifting her spirits while she does her thing over there.

I had to have something to keep my hands busy after Thanksgiving dinner, so I thought it appropriate to start a new project to take to my grandmother's house. I ripped out the toe-up socks I started in August, since something about the short row heel was not working for me. I began on the Jaywalker pattern instead, since so many people have seemed to be so successful with it. Why am I knitting these socks? I dunno. Really, I just wanted to have something to work on, post-turkey, and I couldn't take my dad's sweater, of course.


(Sigh)...my dad's sweater. I have harassed him no less than 4 times about his measurements, so any remaining hope of surprising him with a handknit sweater on Christmas morning is definitely out the window at this point. However, for my dad, the surprise will be if the sweater actually fits! (Unfortunately, I have established a Christmas tradition of presenting my dad with dad handknit items that are way too small. Hats that squish his head, specifically.) I am actually pretty close to the measurements he gave me, but the thing looks HUGE. I tried it on and it was a mini-dress on me. Seriously, just gimme a white belt and some leggings and call it 1986. I realize that my dad is a bigger person than I am, but I don't think he's THAT much bigger. I have a feeling that the raglan measurement he gave me was off, which would account for everything else being too large. We'll see. Maybe he can grow into it.

And because I am really, very, not quite right, I also started knitting Christmas ornaments, using the pattern from Handknit Holidays. It's one of those patterns you look at and think, "They're cute, but knitting your own Christmas ornaments?! Pfft. Yeah right. I really have better things to do with my time." Well, either I do NOT actually have better things to do with my time, or perhaps I was mesmerized by the little white lights I hung all over the apartment this weekend, because I suddenly decided that it would be a SUPER idea to knit about 20 of these! (Maybe 25.) I'm having a Christmas party in a few weeks, and I thought it would be just terribly charming to have each guest take one of these home with them. I actually got 8 of them done. And they are pretty cute. But knitting your own Christmas ornaments?? I mean, really.

18 Comments:

Blogger seedless grape said...

Those ornaments are really cute! Giving them to guests is a great idea. Good luck with finishing them off and with your dad's sweater, too!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

The ornaments are cute. They are definitely one of those things that you question but you end up making them anyway.

If you are still unsure about your fathers measurements you might want to go buy a cheap-o t-shirt in his size so that you have something to compare to. It's probably the right size but since men's sweaters have a lot of ease and no shaping it will look huge.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Sara Kirby said...

I love, love, love those Christmas ornaments! What a cute idea to give them out at a party.

Awesome Thanksgiving knitting!

3:01 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Hmmm, maybe I should knit Christmas gifts... Like you, I claimed I wouldn't, but how cute are those ornaments?! And Fetching gloves?! I give in!

4:36 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

Every time I wash my husband's sweaters I can't believe how huge they are. I think there's still a good chance the raglan will fit your dad.

Did you do a regular cast off on your Fetching gloves? I think I like the way yours look better than mine. Either you're better at a subtle picot, or you omitted it altogether.

5:15 PM  
Blogger krazybarrister said...

those ornaments are too cute!

hey, wanna come over and decorate my place too? if i'm ambitious enough, i may actually get the decorations up before the holidays!

good luck with the sweater!

8:31 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

OMG LOVE the ornaments!!! Too cute!! Maybe next Christmas I'll give those out myself.

Your gloves/socks/sweater look really nice. While you were visiting your parents for thanksgiving did you get a chance to sneak in some measurements of your dad's clothes?

You never know. It might fit just fine. For example last Christmas I knit my dad a ski mask (he hunts). I made it as large as I possibly could since he has a pretty big head. As I made it, I thought, no way. This thing is sized for king kong. Sure enough it fit him just right.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Kessa said...

Those knitted ornaments are adorable, great idea! I can't even get it together to knit gifts, let alone ornaments!

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your projects are totally cute - especially the ornaments. I'd be a happy guest to get one of those!

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those ornaments. I completely understand, I've been knitting christmas ornaments at the moment for a swap and I'm on my 7th - I really love how they look but can't help the feeling that knitting your own ornaments is slightly unecessary!

6:14 AM  
Blogger amisha said...

the ornaments are really cute... as a woman who once knit acrylic pants from a deeply misguided interweave pattern ("pants!" i thought, "so novel!") something sweet and *small* does not seem crazy. i am going to an ornament swap this weekend and this might be just the thing...
p.s. it's really hard to resist knitting gifts. i made the no-knitted-gifts resolution 2 months ago and it is out the window.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Liz K. said...

I had a passing thought that I would knit mini sweaters for everyone in my family. Then I realized that I was talking about like 18 mini sweaters.

I returned to sanity, but will be knitting a few. I think the balls are cute.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

well, hopefully you can get some measurements and keep them for future reference - can you grab one of his existing shirts/sweaters to measure?

I love the little ornaments - they would make cute cat toys too!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Those Christmas ornaments are pretty cute, I had kind of thought they might be a bit silly to knit when I flipped through the book, but now that I am seeing yours I am having second thoughts. Great way to use up scrap yarns, too.

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ornaments are sooo pretty. I'm sure your guests will cherish them. x

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVE the ornaments! The colors you chose and stripe patterns. I whipped one up last night with 3 center stripes and I really want to make more. They'd make great "bows" on presents. And that way, everyone gets a handknit :)

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just came across your work through flickr. lovely stuff. I am still an amateur and the complex stitches i still find a bit daunting!!!

i love the simplicity of the chrsitmas ornaments, yummy.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Those ornaments are incredible.
Probably best not to surprise your dad totally because this way he can work on amassing the praise that it deserves to have lavished upon it.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home