Monday, September 04, 2006

wrong yarn

For some reason, I thought Handpainted Yarn would be perfect for Lady Eleanor. I adore the yarn itself, but it's variegated, not self-striping. After getting a couple repeats into it, I believe Lady Eleanor really needs a self-striping yarn to bring out the best in this pattern. Individually, the rectangles look beautiful, but the entrelac pattern won't have the right overall impact if I continue with the variegated yarn. For a project this big, I want to get it right. After much research on Flickr, I jumped on the bandwagon and ordered 10 balls of Noro Silk Garden. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Fortunately, I found it on sale at School Products! I've never used Noro before and this yarn seems to have surprises inside, which scares me just a bit. I needed more color changes that were in the Handpainted yarn, but I think some of the Noro colorways can look a bit garish. School Products only had 2 colors available, and I decided to play it safe and chose the one that looked subtler (#82), expecting that there will be some bursts of color in there, anyway. Now I have to try to return the Handpainted Yarn. I'm not a big yarn stasher and I don't have much use for chunky variegated yarn. If anyone out there in Blogland wants it, let me know!

On the bright side, I'm definitely enjoying the entrelac pattern. The directions in Scarf Style seemed very clear to me, so it's not difficult at all, and it's pretty fascinating to see this thing knit itself up! I'm sure it will take me a while to finish, but it will be a great fall/winter project.

7 Comments:

Blogger Karin said...

Wait a second...did I meet you when I was visiting Rochester, it was St. Patrick's day, and I was meeting Kelly for the first time? We started out at a sports/Irish type bar (forgetting the name) and then moved on to Lux? I think you had a male friend visiting you too, some one you knew from college or high school? Or I could be mixing you up w/another of Kelly's friends :)

If you don't unload that yarn, you might want to try just making a top down raglan, simple sweater with it. It's very pretty!!

11:23 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

Just the other day Kelly reminded me that we did meet briefly on St. Patrick's Day! I was "babysitting" a bunch of friends that night so I'm sorry we didn't really get a chance to chat! And that I never made it to Lux.

Thanks for the suggestion on the top down sweater. Variegated yarn is usually not my style, but it might be nice with a really simple pattern!

11:39 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

OK--I remember who you are. There was another friend of Kelly's with a similar name (I think she was Jenny) and she was also talked about working in education. She's the one who came to Lux.

Yeah I was thinking about what could be made with that yarn and I think if you do decide to use it the simpler the better for a garment.

I'll be in Rochester at Christmas this year so maybe we'll meet again!

2:35 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I love Silk Garden 82 -- it will make a beautiful Lady Eleanor!

1:46 PM  
Blogger xyz said...

I vote for the silk garden. One of my friends is doing it in that and it's breathtaking.

11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that handpainted yarn is so pretty. i hope you find another pattern to use it for. it would be a shame to let that go.

8:20 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

really? you're giving up on the HP? i think it looks lovely--despite the fact that it's varigated and not s.s.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home