Wednesday, August 16, 2006

lace panel jacket

Having finished another project so soon after the Prairie Tunic, I feel almost like a real knitter! Well, I actually started this back in December or January (whatever), but here's my sort-of-self-designed Lace Panel Jacket. I used the top-down method and sleeve shaping recommended by Cosmicpluto and modified it to include the lace pattern from this shawl, that I knit for my grandmother this Christmas. I was going to stop it at a regular cardigan length, but I'm glad I made it into more of a jacket. Although I'd been working on this jacket since last winter, I was well into the Prairie Tunic this spring before I realized that the two designs were VERY similar. Apparently I have a thing for garments with two lace panels in the front and one in the back.

But now that my summer projects are finished, I can get crackin' on my cabled turtleneck. I had a heck of a time finding size 10.75 needles, and the plastic ones I purchased are too slow and they're driving me nuts. I ordered a different set, which I hope will be better. Until then I will continue to fight with my first pair of socks. Although at this point, a "pair" of socks might be wishful thinking.


Edited to add TUTORIAL:

This really isn’t a pattern…but here’s what I did to create my Lace Panel Jacket…

I followed Cosmicpluto’s top-down raglan cardi pattern, using her gauge, sizing, etc., but I’m sure you could modify this tutorial to work with any top-down cardigan pattern.

I used 10 balls of Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora and size 8, 24” circular needles.

I cast on for the neckband and worked in seed stitch for 1 inch.

I then started placing markers for the seed stitch border, the 3 lace panels, and the sleeves. I worked 5 st in seed stitch on each end for the border, 12 st for each lace panel on the fronts of the jacket, and 24 st for the larger lace panel on the back of the jacket. On the fronts, I placed the 12 st lace panels right next to the seed stitch border, but you’ll have to do a little math in order to center the 24 st lace panel on the back, depending on how many stitches you cast on.

The lace pattern I used is from Classic Elite Yarns free Temptation Wrap pattern.

Row 1 (WS): purl
Row 2 (RS): k1, *yo, k2tog; rep from * across.
Row 3 (WS): purl
Row 4 (RS): *ssk, yo; rep from * across to last st, k1

Make sure you’re only working the lace pattern within the markers you placed for the lace panels. Whenever you’re not working the lace pattern, you’re working in stockinette st, while following the top-down directions for increasing the raglan sleeves.

Continue this way, trying on as you go, until it’s time to join the sweater under the arms. After joining under the arms, I continued knitting the lace panels and stockinette for 17”, then switched back to seed st to create a 1” border at the bottom, so my total length was 18” from under the arm. I omitted the buttonholes and side shaping, but compensated by increasing the length of the cardigan and tying it with a belt.

I wanted ¾ length sleeves, so I followed Cosmicpluto’s directions for picking up stitches and knitting the sleeves, decreasing every 5th row until I had 48 st left. I then knit straight until the sleeve was 12” from under the arm, then switched to seed st for 1” for the cuff, resulting in a total of 13” from under the arm.

For the belt, I cast on 9 st and knit in seed st until I had 56”.

After finishing and blocking, I realized I also needed to add belt loops, which will probably be short seed st strips that I’ll tack onto the outside of the jacket. And I will also probably sew in a hidden hook and eye closure in the front, just to make sure it stays closed.

If anyone actually decides to try this, leave me a comment and let me know!

9 Comments:

Blogger krazybarrister said...

beautiful work!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

looks great! i like the length.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Hooney said...

Lovely! It looks great on you.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is just beautiful. would you consider posting a tutorial? i woudl love to make one for myself.

11:20 AM  
Blogger elizabeth marley said...

I love that sweater!! You should definitely make a pattern.

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is pretty!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

That is gorgeous! I just love it. The sweater seems very versatile and wearable. My knitting skills and yarn budget aren't up for such a challenge yet, but someday...

11:06 AM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

that lace panel cardi is awesome. beautiful job jenna!

4:55 PM  
Blogger projektleiterin said...

It looks really chic! Nice job with the design.

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home