Sunday, August 20, 2006

knitting is hard

This sweater has been nothing but a pain in the neck. The stupid cable chart makes me feel like I don't even know how to knit. To add insult to injury (or irony to frustration...or something) this thing would really knit up quick if I didn't keep screwing up!

Thanks to Jane's and Saun's comments and to some kind and helpful knitters on Craftster, I see that I am supposed to repeat rows 1-8 to include the basic cable on the sides. Since Rebecca could not find it in its heart to actually print these stitches on the chart via Technology, I went in and modified the chart myself using Ye Olde Pencil. However, the "instructions" (which are scattered throughout the booklet like a Choose Your Own Adventure novel) tell me to "Work rows 1-2 (with incs) once, then rep rows 3-8 or 3-30 throughout for patt." So...if I'm repeating rows 1-8 ON rows 9-30, I should put the basic cable on rows 11, 19, and 27, right? But then when I get around to repeating rows 3-30, the cable will not land on row 3, as it should. So I thought I might undo the cable using the Yarn Harlot's instructions, rework the cables, and knit them back up without ripping the whole thing back. Then I realized that I have NO IDEA which rows the basic cable should go on, if they are to be both evenly spaced and wind up landing on row 3 again. Anybody know math? Or how to knit? 'Cause I'm exhausted. And the sweater? It's in trouble...

9 Comments:

Blogger elizabeth marley said...

What a nightmare! Maybe you should take a break from it and knit a scarf or a sock, something without any "fancy" in it, and go back to the sweater when you're not so frustrated at it.

...it looks really nice otherwise. :)

11:55 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

Ugh, I had this long reply and it was deleted. Anyways looking up at rows 87+ you can see you need to cable every 6 rows, not every 8, which isn't evident in the bottom of the chart. Cause if you start every 8 rows and switch to every 6 at row 87 it's gonna look weird, right? So you'd then have to cable rows 3, 9, 15, 21, and 27. Does the pattern tell you to repeat 1-8 up till 30 and then start over with 3-30? If you DONT repeat 1-8 and just repeat 3-30 3 times you end up on track with the outer cables. If you need more help let me know--I love figuring out charts!

1:14 AM  
Blogger krazybarrister said...

i think i got it. i didn't notice the pattern repeat line there at the bottom before. it is a 6-row cable, so you'll repeat rows 3-8 for the basic cables while running 3-30 for the middle panel. thus, your cables on the outsides should land on 3, 9, 15, 21, 27, 33, 39, 45, 51, 57, 63, 69, 75, 81, 87.

10:03 AM  
Blogger jenna said...

Ok, I see now that I should cable every six rows...thanks for pointing that out, Karin! The instructions say to repeat rows 3-8 and 3-30 throughout for pattern. So cabling on rows 3, 9, 15, 21, 27 (as you said) should work fine, until I get back to repeating 3-30. Then row 3 will only be four rows after row 27, right? Should I add rows 1 and 2 back in there? Or maybe re-adjust the basic cable when I repeat rows 3-30?

Geeyouknit, the sock I've been fighting with is actually my refuge at this point!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Kelly Kester said...

Oh my god oh my god.... the maths are making my head hurt. If it's any consolation, I think it'll be a beautiful FO.

And by the way... that lace panel jacket?? HOLY HELL!!!! It's BEAUTIFUL- the fit is perfect. I honestly might have to try this. Just beautiful.

See you at Chicks this Thursday (yes, I'll be there- I'm moving on Friday, FINALLY!!!)

11:05 AM  
Blogger Karin said...

Jenna, krazybarrister said what i was trying to say only much more succinctly--it looks like when they say to repeat those rows 3-8 they only mean repeat the outer cables, yes? Because it seems like that is what the pattern is asking for, and if you knit rows 1-30 and then repeat 3-30 twice, the rows on which to do the outer cables are correct as krazybarrister posted them. Basically just because the pattern starts over at row 3 for the center panel does NOT mean the outer panels will line up their cables in the same spot they did the first time though.

Hope that helps! I'm sure you'll be able to get through this sweater and it'll look great :).

12:38 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

You guys are geniuses. Thanks for spelling it out---I get it now. But this pattern is still a jerk.

12:54 PM  
Blogger krazybarrister said...

i think i need to give up the law and find a job editing patterns. ;) princess buttercups and cables, beware. (and remember those damn baby dresses i knit, frogged and reknit?)

4:02 PM  
Blogger knitlit kate said...

woah...i am so impressed thatyou were able to frog a PORTION only of this. this is on yarn harlot, you say? not that i'd have the balls to actually attempt it. from your more recent post, it appears you worked your way out of the hole, though. carry on girl!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home