Saturday, August 19, 2006

cable confusion

I've done cables before and I've read charts before and never had much of a problem with it, but when I compare this chart to what's coming out on my needles, to the photo of what's supposed to come out on my needles, something doesn't seem right.

Here's the chart for Sweater With Cabled Pattern from Rebecca 28. Why are there chunks missing? I wasn't supposed to do any decreases that would eliminate 8 stitches on either side of the chart.

So I thought maybe I was supposed to just continue with the same knits and purls that are above and below the missing chunks of the chart, but then I'm not going to get the small basic cables that are shown on the sides of the cable pattern in the picture, I'll just get a big rib.

What's going on? I searched for pattern errata, but couldn't find anything online. I'm wondering if I should modify the pattern myself to make it look more like the photo or if I'm making some kind of bonehead mistake. Maybe I'll head to my LYS, since I don't see my Chicks with Sticks for another 5 days!

2 Comments:

Blogger krazybarrister said...

the side cables look to be a simple 8-row repeat basic cable over six stitches, no? it kind of looks like you're just supposed to continue to repeat rows 1-8 up along either side.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Saun said...

Rebecca patterns are funny that way. I always have to study them before I start one. The chunk that is omitted is in fact the basic cable repeat on the sides of the main cable that was started in rows 1-8. You will repeat those 8 rows as you work up the pattern. I'm not sure why they couldn't just leave in those instructions. Maybe they were trying to save on ink.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home