Thursday, January 04, 2007

cabled yoke pullover

I am really pleased with how this sweater turned out! The pattern is from Phildar's 2006 Winter I catalog, and it actually gave me a lot less trouble than I thought it would. (Aside from the mini-panic attack I had when the pattern wanted me to "leave 9 sts 5 times and 8 sts once on a holder." Yeesh. I figured it out, but those directions were garbage.) I definitely had my doubts at the start, since 1.) the pattern was translated from French, 2.) I had to do some VERY fancy math to convert the pattern to work with my gauge, and 3.) I decided to knit in the round and was pretty sure I would do something weird in that regard. Miraculously, it went pretty smoothly. There were a few errors in the chart, but they were fairly easy to spot.


I remember a time when I wouldn't come within 10 feet of a pattern that called for size 4 needles, but the sweater knit up much more quickly than I had anticipated. Less than a month, in fact. Knitting in the round helped a lot. I think I may have picked the wrong yarn, though. I love the look and feel of The Frog Tree Alpaca, but it might be a little too fuzzy to really show off the cables. But it did knit up into a fantastic fabric---really soft, really light, and really warm. I could not be happier with the fit of this sweater. I tried it on after seaming and it was looking like real trouble (mini-panic attack again), but I blocked the heck out of it and was VERY pleasantly surprised. The body and sleeves are long enough for my taste and the amount of ease is perfect. (One of these days I'll get over the amazing mystical wonders of blocking...but for now, I'm astounded every time.) I'm still not sure about the rolled edge on the bottom. So far, it's behaving itself, but if that rolled edge decides it's going to creep back up when I wear it, I'll have to take some sort of action. But I'm really, really happy with how this came out. I'll wear it a lot and I'd knit it again in a second.

44 Comments:

Blogger pd said...

Its absolutely gorgeous.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

That sweater is beautiful! The cables around the yoke are so pretty. Congrats!

7:21 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It looks great!

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Really nice job.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Knittypants said...

Wow! That turned out really cute. Nice to hear your thoughts on the yarn and pattern, too.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Very nice work.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm loving it! good choice to go sans the flair from the original pattern. looks fabulous!!!

10:16 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

it's beautiful, an absolute gem. you should be so pleased with it! so delicate and lovely.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Debi said...

A beautiful sweater that looks lovely on you! Well done!

10:26 PM  
Blogger Peacock Chic said...

Congrats on finishing your sweater! It looks wonderful! And it fits you so nicely. Great way to start 2007

10:33 PM  
Blogger VickeryKnits said...

Awesome sweater--it looks great on you! And kudos for working with the translated instructions, I've been holding off on starting a pattern translated from German but you've encouraged me to jump in!

10:42 PM  
Blogger Laura B said...

Very pretty work!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Karin said...

That looks so nice!!

I think the slightly rolled edge looks really cute actually.

Congrats on your first FO of 2007!

11:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really is beautiful on you! Great job!

12:04 AM  
Blogger goodkarma said...

Wait a minute... didn't you just get that yarn in the mail a couple of days ago?!? :) Your sweater turned out beautifully and looks so soft and comfy.

12:54 AM  
Blogger blueadt said...

What a beautiful jumper - well done!

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So pretty!

9:14 AM  
Blogger knottygnome said...

amazingly beautiful! i love that color on you.

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful :) Great job. I've been watching to see how this would turn out - it was so quick! Thanks for the details and for the intro to Phildar - they do have some pretty patterns!

9:49 AM  
Blogger spajonas said...

ooooh, it's just lovely! i especially adore that yoke.

10:28 AM  
Blogger jillian said...

That's gorgeous! I think the cables with a soft halo look very nice - more subtle.

10:42 AM  
Blogger amisha said...

beautiful! you did a lovely job... the fit is perfect!

10:45 AM  
Blogger Niki, with one "k" said...

Breath-taking! It's beautiful. And the colour is perfect.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Stacey said...

beautiful!!!! great fit and i like the simpleness of the shape with the nice touch of the cables at the top!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fantastic sweater! great job!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Wow- really nice job!! I only hope that my attempt will fit as nicely as yours does- you should be really proud of yourself.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A really beautiful sweater--I love it. The color is great too.

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Breathtaking!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! The color of the apalca really complements the color of your hair.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

That is beautiful!! I hope I can knit as well as you one day! You are very pretty as well. :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger schrodinger said...

Wow!!

6:08 PM  
Blogger KC said...

whoa. i didn't realize that beautious sweater you wore to group the other night was handknit by you! What a sweater making machine you are. It is so excellent. well done.

8:32 PM  
Blogger nat said...

It's very pretty!

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GORGEOUS!

2:15 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

It looks fantastic Jenna. Well done. I like your yarn choice, it looks great on you.

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job, and it looks really good on you!

5:42 PM  
Blogger Siow Chin said...

The yoke looks rather tricky to work but you knitted it so well. It's lovely!

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely sweater...it's perfectly perfect on you. I noticed in the original pattern photo what appears to be sequins on the yoke? Very interesting addition, but I do like the more classic look of yours. Well done

9:26 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

It looks really great!

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must comment...I just keep coming back, I love this sweater! Awesome knittin!

Ronikins

11:09 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

That turned out so beautifully! I love Phildar patterns and every one that I see finished makes me love Phildar even more. Nice work :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Whitney said...

It's beautiful, and I love the color with your hair. I'm new to knitting and therefore don't know Phildar and CERTAINLY couldn't attempt to tackle a pattern like this (cables scare me no matter how much my knitting teacher/friend tells me they're easy and just LOOK hard). Great job.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ablolutly beautiful the color with your hair. And the pattern of the lovely sweater ist also verry pretty!

7:20 AM  
Blogger Carson said...

Just found your Phildar sweater on flikr.
I really love this!
Lovely subdued colour, deceptively simple silhouette, nice long sleeves, and flattering! Looks really comfy too.
I think the fuzz-factor of the alpaca makes for a nice subtle cable at the top. Great job.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home